1980 San Francisco Giants season
|1980 San Francisco Giants|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Spec Richardson|
(Lindsey Nelson, Gary Park)
(Lindsey Nelson, Hank Greenwald)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1980 San Francisco Giants season was the Giants' 98th season in Major League Baseball, their 23rd season in San Francisco since their move from New York following the 1957 season, and their 21st at Candlestick Park. The team finished in fifth place in the National League West with an 75-86 record, 17 games behind the Houston Astros.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- December 3, 1979: Guy Sularz was drafted by the Minnesota Twins from the San Francisco Giants in the 1979 rule 5 draft.
- December 19, 1979: Rob Andrews was released by the Giants.
- March 13, 1980: Rudy Meoli was signed as a free agent by the Giants.
- March 15, 1980: Joe Pettini was sent by the Montreal Expos to the San Francisco Giants to complete an earlier deal made on June 13, 1979.
|Los Angeles Dodgers||92||71||1||.564|
|San Francisco Giants||75||86||17||.466|
|San Diego Padres||73||89||19.5||.451|
Record vs. opponents
1980 National League Records
Sources:            
Opening Day lineup
- April 1, 1980: Guy Sularz was returned (earlier draft pick) by the Minnesota Twins to the San Francisco Giants.
- April 2, 1980: Jeff Little was released by the Giants.
- April 3, 1980: Pedro Borbón was released by the Giants.
- April 3, 1980: Rudy Meoli was released by the Giants.
- June 3, 1980: Jessie Reid was drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the 1st round (7th pick) of the 1980 amateur draft.
- June 3, 1980: Randy Gomez was drafted by the Giants in the 25th round of the 1980 Major League Baseball Draft.
- June 16, 1980: Casey Parsons was purchased from the Giants by the Seattle Mariners.
Major League debuts
- Chris Bourjos (Aug 31)
- Rich Murray (Jun 7)
- Joe Pettini (Jul 10)
- Guy Sularz (Sep 2)
- Bill Bordley (Jun 30)
- Fred Breining (Sep 4)
- Al Hargesheimer (Jul 14)
- Mike Rowland (Jul 25)
- Jeff Stember (Aug 5) 
|1980 San Francisco Giants roster|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
|3B||Evans, DarrellDarrell Evans||154||556||147||.264||20||78|
|RF||Clark, JackJack Clark||127||437||124||.284||22||82|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
|Murray, RichRich Murray||53||194||42||.216||4||24|
|Sadek, MikeMike Sadek||64||151||38||.252||1||16|
|McCovey, WillieWillie McCovey||48||113||23||.204||1||16|
|Blue, VidaVida Blue||31||224||14||10||2.97||129|
|Hargesheimer, AlanAlan Hargesheimer||15||75||4||6||4.32||40|
|Halicki, EdEd Halicki||11||25||0||0||5.40||14|
|Griffin, TomTom Griffin||43||5||1||0||2.76||79|
Awards and honors
- Rob Andrews page at Baseball Reference
- Rudy Meoli page at Baseball Reference
- Jeff Little page at Baseball Reference
- Pedro Borbón page at Baseball Reference
- Randy Gomez page at Baseball Reference
- Casey Parsons page at Baseball Reference
- 1980 San Francisco Giants team page at Baseball Reference
- 1980 San Francisco Giants team page at Baseball Almanac