1980 Wimbledon Championships – Men's singles final
|Björn Borg (1) vs. John McEnroe (2)|
|Date||Saturday 5 July 1980|
The 1980 Wimbledon Men's Singles final was the championship tennis match of the Men's Singles tournament at the 1980 Wimbledon Championships. In the final, Björn Borg defeated John McEnroe 1–6, 7–5, 6–3, 6–7(16–18), 8–6 to win the match. It was regarded at the time as the greatest match ever played. It would be another 28 years before the 2008 Wimbledon men's singles final between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal would rival the match as the greatest ever played.
At the start of the final, McEnroe was booed by the crowd as he entered Centre Court, because of the heated exchanges he had had with officials during his semi-final victory over Jimmy Connors. In the final's fourth-set tiebreaker that lasted 20 minutes, McEnroe saved five championship points and eventually won 18–16. The tie-break was later described by one reporter as "the most riveting episode in the sport's history". McEnroe, however, could not break Borg's serve in the fifth set, which the Swede won 8–6.
This match was called the best Wimbledon final by ESPN's countdown show "Who's Number One?" and "one of the three or four greatest sporting events in history" by ESPN English speaking personality Mike Greenberg. In 1999, it ranked #10 on ESPN's SportsCentury's Ten Greatest Games of the 20th Century. In a 2002 UK poll conducted by Channel 4, the British public voted the match #10 in the list of the 100 Greatest Sporting Moments.'. The New York Times tennis writer Neil Amdur wrote in 2011 "I covered the 1980 Wimbledon men’s singles final between McEnroe and Borg. Until the 2008 Nadal-Federer classic at the All England Club, the Borg-McEnroe five-setter at Wimbledon was the greatest tennis match I had ever seen, but after watching chunks of the 3:53 McEnroe-Borg final at an HBO screening, I am tempted again to reaffirm its place as the sport’s single most compelling piece of court magic".
- Alan Little. 2009 Wimbledon Compendium. p. 77. ISBN 978-1-899039-31-9.
- "Classic Matches: Borg v McEnroe". BBC Sport. 31 May 2004. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- Jenkins, Bruce (2008-07-07). "The Greatest Match Ever". San Francisco Chronicle. Archived from the original on 11 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-02-14.
- "#10: 1980 Wimbledon Men's Singles Final". In ESPN SportCentury's Ten Greatest Games of the 20th Century. ABC-TV. Original Air Date: 23 May 1999. Hosted by Al Michaels.
- "1980 Wimbledon Gentleman's Final". (1999). In ESPN SportsCentury. Michael MacCambridge, Editor. New York: Hyperion-ESPN Books. p.259.
- "100 Greatest Sporting Moments - Results". Channel 4. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Amdur, Neil. "McEnroe-Borg 1980: A Great Match Endures". The New York Times. The New York Times. Retrieved 22 September 2015.