1980 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1980 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in the year 1980.
- President: Ferdinand Marcos (Liberal)
- Prime Minister: Ferdinand Marcos (Liberal)
- House Speaker: Querube Makalintal
- Chief Justice: Enrique Fernando
- January 30 – Local elections for governors, vice governors, mayors and vice mayors in the nation's first elections for provincial and municipal officials since the declaration of martial law. The party Kilusang Bagong Lipunan led Ferdinand Marcos won majority of the seats.
- April 22 – Passenger ship MV Don Juan bound for Bacolod City sank in Tablas Strait, 20 nautical miles (37 km) off Maestre de Campo Island, Romblon after colliding with the oil tanker M/T Tacloban City. Reported casualties were 18 dead and 115 missing, with 745 survivors.
- May 26 – The Kabataang Barangay elections (KB) were held. It was participated by about 3 million Filipino youths aged 15 to 18 years old.
- January 16 -
- February 7 - Adrian Alandy, actor
- February 8 - Jenny Miller, Canadian-Filipino actress
- March 1 – Cassandra Ponti, Filipina actress, dancer, and model
- May 13 - Mau Marcelo, singer and winner of Philippine Idol
- July 6 – JB Magsaysay, actor, businessman and politician
- August 2 – Dingdong Dantes, Filipino actor
- August 17 – Tootsie Guevara
- October 1 – Phoemela Baranda