1981 San Francisco Giants season
|1981 San Francisco Giants|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Spec Richardson, Tom Haller|
(Lindsey Nelson, Gary Park, Edgard Martinez)
(Lindsey Nelson, Hank Greenwald, David Glass)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1981 San Francisco Giants season was the Giants' 99th season in Major League Baseball, their 24th season in San Francisco since their move from New York following the 1957 season, and their 22nd at Candlestick Park. Giants manager Frank Robinson became the first black manager in the history of the National League. Robinson was also the first black manager in the history of the American League.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- December 8, 1980: Chris Bourjos and Bob Knepper were traded by the Giants to the Houston Astros for Enos Cabell.
- December 9, 1980: DeWayne Buice was drafted from the Giants by the Oakland Athletics in the 1980 minor league draft.
- December 12, 1980: John Montefusco and Craig Landis (minors) were traded by the Giants to the Atlanta Braves for Doyle Alexander.
- December 12, 1980: Joe Strain and Philip Nastu were traded by the Giants to the Chicago Cubs for Jerry Martin, Jesús Figueroa, and a player to be named later. The Cubs completed the deal by sending Mike Turgeon (minors) to the Giants on August 11, 1981.
- February 9, 1981: Joe Morgan was signed as a free agent by the Giants.
- March 23, 1981: Billy Smith was purchased by the Giants from the Philadelphia Phillies.
- March 31, 1981: Gorman Heimueller was released by the Giants.
|Los Angeles Dodgers||63||47||0.573||4||33–23||30–24|
|San Francisco Giants||56||55||0.505||11½||29–24||27–31|
|San Diego Padres||41||69||0.373||26||20–35||21–34|
First Half Standings
|Los Angeles Dodgers||36||21||.632|
|San Francisco Giants||27||32||.458|
|San Diego Padres||23||33||.411|
Second Half Standings
|San Francisco Giants||29||23||.558|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||27||26||.509|
|San Diego Padres||18||36||.333|
Record vs. opponents
1981 National League Records
Sources:            
Opening Day starters
- Vida Blue
- Enos Cabell
- Jack Clark
- Darrell Evans
- Larry Herndon
- Johnnie LeMaster
- Milt May
- Joe Morgan
- Billy North
- May 17, 1981: Phil Ouellette was signed by the Giants as an amateur free agent.
- August 3, 1981: Mike Sadek was released by the Giants.
|1981 San Francisco Giants|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|= Indicates team leader|
Awards and honors
- Vida Blue, reserve
- Great Baseball Feats, Facts and Figures, 2008 Edition, p.198, David Nemec and Scott Flatow, A Signet Book, Penguin Group, New York, ISBN 978-0-451-22363-0
- Chris Bourjos at Baseball Reference
- DeWayne Buice at Baseball Reference
- Doyle Alexander at Baseball Reference
- "Giants trade twice on final day". Lakeland, Florida: The Ledger. Associated Press (AP). December 13, 1980. p. 3D. Retrieved December 22, 2014.
- Joe Strain at Baseball Reference
- Joe Morgan at Baseball Reference
- Billy Smith at Baseball Reference
- Gorman Heimueller at Baseball Reference
- Phil Ouellette at Baseball Reference
- Mike Sadek at Baseball Reference