1981 in art
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The year 1981 in art involved some significant events and new works.
- 10 September – Picasso's painting Guernica is returned from New York to Madrid.
- Blek le Rat begins his stencil graffiti art in Paris.
- Tony Cragg – Britain as Seen from the North
- John Doubleday – Statue of Charlie Chaplin (Leicester Square, London)
- Don Eckland – Emergence (bronze, Eugene, Oregon)
- Bryan Hunt – Arch Falls (bronze, Houston, Texas)
- Nabil Kanso – Dreamvision series of paintings completed
- Ellsworth Kelly – Curve XXIV (sculpture, Seattle)
- Odd Nerdrum – Twilight
- Helmut Newton – Sie kommen! ("They're coming!", photographic diptych; published in French Vogue, November)
- Richard Serra – Tilted Arc, Federal Plaza, New York City (dismantled 1989)
- Andy Warhol – Myths series
- Aubrey Williams – Shostakovich series of paintings completed
- 15 April – Seth Wulsin, American artist.
- 4 November – Paul Tucker, Canadian visual artist and graphic novel and webcomic illustrator.
- 19 January – Francesca Woodman, 22, American photographer
- 19 June – Lotte Reiniger, German silhouette animator and film director (b.1899).
- 29 June – Russell Drysdale, Australian artist (b.1912).
- 8 July – Isaac Soyer, Russian-born American painter, (b.1902).
- 7 September – Christy Brown, Irish author, painter and poet (b.1932).
- 12 October – Enzo Plazzotta, Italian-born British sculptor (b.1921).
- 20 October – Annot, German painter (b.1894).
- 17 November – Nano Reid, Irish painter (b.1905).
- 22 November – Corrado Parducci, Italian-American architectural sculptor (b.1900).
Full date unknown
- John E. Berninger, American landscape painter (b.1896)
- Hans Coper, German-born English studio potter (b.1920).
- Hubert Davis, American artist (b.1902).
- Art Frahm, American pin-up and advertising artist (b.1907).
- Pinchus Kremegne, Belarusian sculptor, painter and lithographer (b.1890).