1982 Tournament Players Championship
|Dates||March 18–21, 1982|
|Location||Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida|
|Length||6,857 yards (6,270 m)|
|Field||147 players, 82 after cut|
The 1982 Tournament Players Championship was a golf tournament on the PGA Tour, held March 18–21 at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, southeast of Jacksonville. It was the ninth Tournament Players Championship and the first at the new course.
Playing an orange ball, Jerry Pate shot a final round 67 (−5) to win by two strokes over runners-up Scott Simpson and Brad Bryant. Pate started the final round three strokes behind the leaders, in a tie for sixth place. Following his win, Pate pushed tour commissioner Deane Beman and course designer Pete Dye into the lake along the 18th green, and then joined them.
Defending champion Raymond Floyd finished eleven strokes back, in a tie for 22nd place.
This was the first Tournament Players Championship held at the TPC at Sawgrass Stadium Course; its 1982 setup measured 6,857 yards (6,270 m). The debut was delayed a year due to heavy rains during construction.
- All designated players
- Winners of major TPA Tour co-sponsored or approved events beginning with the 1981 Tournament Players Championship and concluding with the tournament immediately preceding the 1982 TPC
- The current British Open champion
- Leaders in the TPA Tour Official Standings as necessary to complete the field, beginning with the 1981 TPC and concluding with the Bay Hill Classic, which concludes March 7, 1982
John Adams, Buddy Allin, Isao Aoki, George Archer, Seve Ballesteros, Jim Barber, Miller Barber, Dave Barr, Beau Baugh, Andy Bean, Chip Beck, Woody Blackburn, Jim Booros, Bill Britton, Brad Bryant, George Burns, Bob Byman, George Cadle, Rex Caldwell, Bill Calfee, Bobby Clampett, Lennie Clements, Jim Colbert, Bobby Cole, Frank Conner, Charles Coody, John Cook, Fred Couples, Ben Crenshaw, Rod Curl, Jim Dent, Bruce Devlin, Terry Diehl, Mike Donald, Ed Dougherty, Bruce Douglass, Bob Eastwood, Danny Edwards, David Edwards, Dave Eichelberger, Lee Elder, Nick Faldo, Keith Fergus, Forrest Fezler, Ed Fiori, Bruce Fleisher, Raymond Floyd, Gibby Gilbert, Bob Gilder, David Graham, Lou Graham, Thomas Gray, Hubert Green, Jay Haas, Joe Hager, Gary Hallberg, Dan Halldorson, Phil Hancock, Morris Hatalsky, Mark Hayes, Vance Heafner, Jerry Heard, Skeeter Heath, Scott Hoch, Mike Holland, Joe Inman, Hale Irwin, Peter Jacobsen, Barry Jaeckel, Don January, Tom Jenkins, Grier Jones, Tom Kite, Billy Kratzert, Wayne Levi, Don Levin, Bruce Lietzke, Pat Lindsey, Lyn Lott, Mark Lye, John Mahaffey, Roger Maltbie, Rik Massengale, Terry Mauney, John Mazza, Gary McCord, Mike McCullough, Mark McCumber, Pat McGowan, Allen Miller, Johnny Miller, Jeff Mitchell, Gil Morgan, Mike Morley, Bob Murphy, Jim Nelford, Larry Nelson, Jack Nicklaus, Mike Nicolette, Lonnie Nielsen, Andy North, Mark O'Meara, Peter Oosterhuis, Arnold Palmer, Jerry Pate, Calvin Peete, Mark Pfeil, Gary Player, Dan Pohl, Don Pooley, Greg Powers, Tom Purtzer, Sammy Rachels, Victor Regalado, Mike Reid, Jack Renner, Chi-Chi Rodríguez, Bill Rogers, John Schroeder, Bob Shearer, Jim Simons, Scott Simpson, Tim Simpson, J. C. Snead, Sam Snead, Ed Sneed, Craig Stadler, Dave Stockton, Curtis Strange, Ron Streck, Mike Sullivan, Doug Tewell, Barney Thompson, Leonard Thompson, David Thore, Jim Thorpe, Lee Trevino, Gary Trivisonno, Howard Twitty, Tommy Valentine, Bobby Wadkins, Lanny Wadkins, Denis Watson, Tom Watson, D. A. Weibring, Tom Weiskopf, Fuzzy Zoeller
Thursday, March 18, 1982
Friday, March 19, 1982
Saturday, March 20, 1982
|T1||Vance Heafner||United States||68-70=138||−6|
|Hale Irwin||United States||70-68=138|
|Lyn Lott||United States||67-71=138|
|Scott Simpson||United States||68-70=138|
|Tim Simpson||United States||72-66=138|
|T6||Brad Bryant||United States||70-69=139||−5|
|Larry Nelson||United States||67-72=139|
|Ed Sneed||United States||68-71=139|
|Craig Stadler||United States||71-68=139|
|T10||George Burns||United States||67-73=140||−4|
|Gibby Gilbert||United States||69-71=140|
Saturday, March 20, 1982
|T1||Brad Bryant||United States||70-69-71=210||−6|
|Bruce Lietzke||United States||69-72-69=210|
|T3||Vance Heafner||United States||68-70-73=210||−5|
|Scott Simpson||United States||68-70-73=211|
|5||George Archer||United States||69-73-70=212||−4|
|T6||Hale Irwin||United States||70-68-75=213||−3|
|Jerry Pate||United States||70-73-70=213|
|Tim Simpson||United States||72-66-75=213|
|Ed Sneed||United States||68-71-74=213|
|Gibby Gilbert||United States||69-71-74=214|
|Scott Hoch||United States||72-70-72=214|
|Don January||United States||69-73-72=214|
|Roger Maltbie||United States||69-72-73=214|
|Craig Stadler||United States||71-68-75=214|
|Tom Watson||United States||70-76-68=214|
Sunday, March 21, 1982
|(c) = past champion|
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Jerry Pate||United States||70-73-70-67=280||−8||90,000|
|T2||Brad Bryant||United States||70-69-71-72=282||−6||44,000|
|Scott Simpson||United States||68-70-73-71=282|
|4||Bruce Lietzke||United States||69-72-69-73=283||−5||24,000|
|5||Roger Maltbie||United States||69-72-73-70=284||−4||20,000|
|Hubert Green||United States||73-75-70-68=286|
|Craig Stadler||United States||71-68-75-72=286|
|Tom Watson||United States||70-76-68-72=286|
|T10||Jim Booros||United States||73-72-71-71=287||−1||12,500|
|Larry Nelson||United States||67-72-77-71=287|
|Ed Sneed||United States||68-71-74-74=287|
- You Tube – Memorable Moments: The Players – PGA Tour
- "3 share TPC lead with 67s". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. (Florida). Associated Press. March 19, 1982. p. 12B.
- "Lietzke, Bryant battle back to share TPC lead". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. (Florida). UPI. March 21, 1982. p. 12B.
- "Golf's richest tournament starts today". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. (Florida). UPI. March 18, 1982. p. 14-B.
- McDermott, Barry (March 15, 1982). "Target golf is the aim". Sports Illustrated. p. 38.
- "Golf's greatest take back seat to TPC course". Spokane Chronicle. (Washington). Associated Press. March 17, 1982. p. 44.
- Kupelian, Vartan (March 21, 2012). "Seeing orange: The story behind Pate's Players-winning ball". PGA Tour. Retrieved May 12, 2016.
- "Pate takes dive after TPC win". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. March 22, 1982. p. 3B.
- "TPC lead surprises Lietzke, Bryant". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). wire services. March 21, 1982. p. 7C.
- Johnson, Mark (March 22, 1982). "For Pate, a big win and another splash". St. Petersburg Times. (Florida). p. 1C.
- Jenkins, Dan (March 29, 1982). "Last one in is a winner". Sports Illustrated. p. 24.
- Van Sickle, Gary (March 23, 2004). "Present at the plunge". Sports Illustrated. p. 32.
- "New course sends top pros packing". Chicago Tribune. March 21, 1982. p. 12, sec. 4.
- "Three share TPC lead with 67s". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. (Florida). Associated Press. March 19, 1982. p. 11B.
- "1982 PGA Tour Media Guide" (PDF). PGA Tour. p. 233. Archived (PDF) from the original on 2020-09-27.
- "TPA scores". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. (Florida). Associated Press. March 20, 1982. p. 11B.
- "TPA scores". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. (Florida). Associated Press. March 21, 1982. p. 6B.
- "Past Results 1974 – present". PGA Tour. Retrieved March 1, 2020.