1982 in LGBT rights
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LGBT history in 1982.|
This is a list of notable events in the history of LGBT rights that took place in the year 1982.
- 17 — A Pennsylvania judge rules that two people of the same sex cannot enter into a common-law marriage.
- Wisconsin becomes the first U.S. state to ban anti-gay discrimination. It would be nine years before any other state enacted such a statute.
- A three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit affirms the lower court ruling in Adams v. Howerton that the marriage of Australian Anthony Sullivan and Richard Adams, under a license issued by Boulder County, Colorado in 1975, is not valid for purposes of Sullivan's immigration.
- 2 — The United Nations Human Rights Committee, in the case Hertzberg et al. v. Finland, refuses to "question the decision of the responsible organs of the Finnish Broadcasting Corporation that radio and TV are not the appropriate forums to discuss issues related to homosexuality, as far as a programme could be judged as encouraging homosexual behaviour".
- 17 — United States district court Judge Jerry Buchmeyer rules in Baker v. Wade that the sodomy law of the state of Texas violates the right to privacy and due process.
- 25 — Northern Ireland decriminalizes consensual homosexual acts between adults, the last jurisdiction within the United Kingdom to do so.
- Timeline of LGBT history — timeline of events from 12,000 BCE to present
- LGBT rights by country or territory — current legal status around the world
- LGBT social movements
- DeSanto v. Barnsley, 35 Pa. D. & C. 3d 7 - Pa: Court of Common Pleas (February 17, 1982)
- William B. Turner, "The Gay Rights State Archived 2010-06-11 at the Wayback Machine", Wisconsin Women's Law Journal, vol. 22, p. 91 (2007).
- William N. Eskridge (30 June 2009). Gaylaw: Challenging the Apartheid of the Closet. Harvard University Press. p. 130. ISBN 978-0-674-03658-1.
- Adams v. Howerton, 673 E.2nd 1036 (United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit 1982-02-25).
- UN HRC views in case No. 61/1979, Para. 10.4
- Murdoch and Price, p. 223
- Frédéric Martel (1999). The Pink and the Black: Homosexuals in France Since 1968. Stanford University Press. p. 132. ISBN 978-0-8047-3274-1.
- Baker v. Wade, 563 F.Supp 1121 (United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas 08-17-1982).
- Miller, p. 288
- Turner, Wallace (10 December 1982). "Partnership law vetoed on coast". New York Times.
- Miller, Neil (1995). Out of the Past: Gay and Lesbian History from 1869 to the Present. New York, Vintage Books. ISBN 0-09-957691-0.
- Murdoch, Joyce and Deb Price (2001). Courting Justice: Gay Men and Lesbians v. the Supreme Court. New York, Basic Books, a member of the Perseus Books Group. ISBN 0-465-01513-1.