1983 Open Championship
|Dates||14–17 July 1983|
|Course(s)||Royal Birkdale Golf Club|
|Length||6,968 yards (6,372 m)|
83 after 1st cut
63 after 2nd cut
|Cut||146 (+4) (1st cut) |
217 (+4) (2nd cut)
|Prize fund||£400,000 |
|Winner's share||£40,000 |
The 1983 Open Championship was a men's major golf championship and the 112th Open Championship, held from 14 to 17 July at Royal Birkdale Golf Club in Southport, England. It was the sixth time the course had hosted, with the first in 1954.
Defending champion Tom Watson won his fifth Open Championship, one stroke ahead of runners-up Andy Bean and Hale Irwin. It was his second consecutive Open win and third in the last four, but was helped by Irwin "whiffing" a one-inch putt on the 14th hole on the third day, which cost him a chance of a play-off with Watson for the tournament.
Watson was the fifth to win five Open Championships, last accomplished in 1965 by Peter Thomson, also at Royal Birkdale. He was the first to successfully defend the title in over a decade, since Lee Trevino in 1972 at Muirfield. Of his five Open wins, this was the only one outside Scotland.
Past champions in the field
Made both cuts
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Tom Watson||United States||1975, 1977,
|Lee Trevino||United States||1971, 1972||69||66||73||70||278||–6||5|
|Bill Rogers||United States||1981||67||71||73||69||280||–4||T8|
|Jack Nicklaus||United States||1966, 1970, 1978||71||72||72||70||285||+1||T29|
|Tom Weiskopf||United States||1973||73||73||69||72||287||+3||T45|
|Arnold Palmer||United States||1961, 1962||72||74||68||75||289||+5||T56|
Missed the first cut
|Player||Country||Years won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Gary Player||South Africa||1959, 1968, 1974||76||71||147||+5|
Thursday, 14 July 1983
|1||Craig Stadler||United States||64||–7|
|T2||Bernhard Langer||West Germany||67||–4|
|Bill Rogers||United States|
|Tom Watson||United States|
|Hal Sutton||United States|
|Hubert Green||United States|
|Philip Parkin (a)||Wales|
|Lee Trevino||United States|
Friday, 15 July 1983
|1||Craig Stadler||United States||64-70=134||–8|
|T2||Lee Trevino||United States||69-66=135||–7|
|Tom Watson||United States||67-68=135|
|5||Hale Irwin||United States||69-68=137||–5|
|T6||Raymond Floyd||United States||72-66=138||–4|
|Bill Rogers||United States||67-71=138|
|T9||Andy Bean||United States||70-69=139||–3|
|Bernhard Langer||West Germany||67-72=139|
|Hal Sutton||United States||68-71=139|
Saturday, 16 July 1983
|1||Tom Watson||United States||67-68-70=205||–8|
|2||Craig Stadler||United States||64-70-72=206||–7|
|Raymond Floyd||United States||72-66-69=207|
|6||Lee Trevino||United States||69-66-73=208||–5|
|T7||Andy Bean||United States||70-69-70=209||–4|
|Hale Irwin||United States||69-68-72=209|
|Fuzzy Zoeller||United States||71-71-67=209|
Sunday, 17 July 1983
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money (£)|
|1||Tom Watson||United States||67-68-70-70=275||–9||40,000|
|T2||Andy Bean||United States||70-69-70-67=276||–8||23,000|
|Hale Irwin||United States||69-68-72-67=276|
|5||Lee Trevino||United States||69-66-73-70=278||–6||13,600|
|Harold Henning||South Africa||71-69-70-69=279|
|Christy O'Connor Jnr||Ireland||72-69-71-68=280|
|Bill Rogers||United States||67-71-73-69=280|
- "Media guide". The Open Championship. 2011. pp. 51, 203. Archived from the original on 18 April 2012. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Paul, Ian (18 July 1983). "Watson picks up Open trophy − then drops it". Glasgow Herald. p. 1.
- Husar, John (18 July 1983). "Watson flashes the V sign". The Chicago Tribune. p. 3, sec. 4.
- Radosta, John (18 July 1983). "Watson's birdie on 16th vaults him to 5th British Open crown". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Florida. (New York Times). p. 12B.
- Jenkins, Dan (25 July 1983). "Breaking clear of the crowd". Sports Illustrated. p. 12.
- "Watson wins 5th in Britain". Youngstown Vindicator. (Ohio). Associated Press. 25 July 1983. p. 15.
- "Tom Watson's four championships in the British Open". Chicago Tribune. 17 July 1983. p. 5, sec. 3.
- Husar, John (18 July 1983). "Watson strangles that choker label". The Chicago Tribune. p. 1, sec. 4.
- "Ballesteros holds off world's best". Glasgow Herald. 10 July 1976. p. 16.
- Jacobs, Raymond (16 July 1983). "Gallant Faldo mounts close but lonely vigil". Glasgow Herald. p. 16.
- Husar, John (15 July 1983). "Stadler putts way into British lead". The Chicago Tribune. p. 2, sec. 3.
- Jacobs, Raymond (15 July 1983). "Faldo steps out of Stadler's shadow". Glasgow Herald. p. 22.
- "Stadler's 64 puts him 3-up in British Open". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. (Florida). Associated Press. 15 July 1983. p. 16B.
- Husar, John (15 July 1983). "Stadler holds on to lead". The Chicago Tribune. p. 3, sec. 2.
- Husar, John (17 July 1983). "Watson overcomes 'hazard'". The Chicago Tribune. p. 5, sec. 3.
- "1983 Open Championship results". databasegolf.com. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- 112th Open - Royal Birkdale 1983 (Official site)
- 112th Open Championship - Royal Birkdale (European Tour)
- 1983 Open Championship (about.sports)
1983 U.S. Open
|Major Championships||Succeeded by|
1983 PGA Championship