1983 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009)|
- Completion of the Christo and Jeanne-Claude environmental artwork, Surrounded Islands, involving eleven islands in Biscayne Bay off Miami being surrounded by 6,500,000 square feet (600,000 m²) of pink fabric.
- Completion of Richard Hamilton's diptych The Citizen.
- Jean Tinguely and Niki de Saint Phalle's kinetic artwork, the Stravinsky Fountain near the Centre Pompidou, Paris.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
January to June
- 24 February – Roy Krenkel, American illustrator (b.1918).
- 3 March – Hergé, Belgian comics writer and artist (b.1907).
- 21 May – Kenneth Clark, English author, museum director, broadcaster and art historians (b.1903).
- 8 June – Rachel Baes, Belgian painter (b.1912).
July to December
- 14 July – Philip Zec, British editorial cartoonist (b. 1909).
- 18 August – Nikolaus Pevsner, German-born British art historian (b.1902).
- 28 October – Otto Messmer, American animator (b.1892).
- 5 November – Jean-Marc Reiser, French comics creator (b.1941).
- 17 November – John Russell Harper, Canadian art historian (b.1914).
- 2 December – Aart van den IJssel, Dutch sculptor (b.1922).
- 23 December – Colin Middleton, Irish artist (b.1910).
- 25 December – Joan Miró, Spanish painter, sculptor and ceramicist (b.1893).
Full date unknown
- Michael Cardew, English studio potter (b.1901).
- Bernard Lamotte, French illustrator, painter and muralist (b.1903).
- Edward Wesson, English watercolour artist (b.1910).