1984 Australian Open
|1984 Australian Open|
|Date||26 November – 9 December|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Venue||Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club|
|Mark Edmondson / Sherwood Stewart|
|Martina Navratilova / Pam Shriver|
|Mark Kratzmann / Mike Baroch|
|Louise Field / Larisa Savchenko|
The 1984 Australian Open was a tennis tournament played on grass courts at the Kooyong Stadium in Melbourne in Victoria in Australia. It was the 73rd edition of the Australian Open and was held from 26 November through 9 December 1984. Chris Evert became the first tennis player in the open era to win 1,000 matches during this fortnight. She ended the tournament with the title and a match winning record of 1,003 - 97.
- It was Wilander's 3rd career Grand Slam title and his 2nd Australian Open title.
- It was Evert's 16th career Grand Slam title and her 2nd and last Australian Open title.
- Helena Suková ended Martina Navratilova's streak after winning 6 majors in a row and stopped Navratilova 2 matches short of winning the Grand Slam.
- It was Edmondson's 5th career Grand Slam title and his 5th and last Australian Open title. It was Stewart's 3rd career Grand Slam title and his 1st Australian Open title.
- It was Navratilova's 30th career Grand Slam title and her 6th Australian Open title. It was Shriver's 10th career Grand Slam title and her 3rd Australian Open title. With this victory Navratilova and Shriver completed the first doubles Grand Slam in a calendar year in the Open Era, a feat not matched until Martina Hingis completed the same Grand Slam with two partners in 1998.
- The competition was not held between 1970 and 1986.
1984 US Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1985 French Open