1984 Wimbledon Championships
|1984 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date||25 June - 8 July|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Draw||128S / 64D / 64MX|
London, United Kingdom
|Peter Fleming / John McEnroe|
|Martina Navratilova / Pam Shriver|
|Wendy Turnbull / John Lloyd|
|Ricky Brown / Robbie Weiss|
|Caroline Kuhlman / Stephanie Rehe|
The 1984 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament played on grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon in London in England. It was the 98th edition of the Wimbledon Championships and the centenary of the Ladies Singles championship, held from 25 June to 8 July 1984. To celebrate the centenary of the Ladies' Singles competition (first held in 1884), 17 of the surviving 20 singles champions were presented with an engraved crystal vase on Centre Court by their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Kent on Monday, July 2. Those presented were Martina Navratilova, Virginia Wade, Chris Evert Lloyd, Evonne Goolagong Cawley, Ann Jones, Billie-Jean King, Margaret Court, Angela Mortimer, Maria Bueno, Althea Gibson, Shirley Fry, Doris Hart, Louise Brough, Margaret Osborne duPont, Pauline Betz, Alice Marble and Kitty Godfree. Karen Susman, Helen Jacobs and Helen Wills Moody did not attend, but were all presented with their crystal individually during the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles by Mrs Godfree, when she attended the games with members of the All England Club committee.
The total prize money for 1984 championships was £1,461,896. The winner of the men's title earned £100,000 while the women's singles champion earned £90,000.
|Event||W||F||SF||QF||Round of 16||Round of 32||Round of 64||Round of 128|
|Men's Doubles *||£40,000||£20,000||£10,000||£4,000||£2,000||£1,000||£584||N/A|
|Women's Doubles *||£34,700||£17,350||£8,000||£3,200||£1,460||£480||£240||N/A|
|Mixed Doubles *||£18,000||£9,000||£4,500||£2,100||£1,050||£526||£226||N/A|
* per team
In all five senior disciplines, the 1983 champions successfully defended their titles.
- It was McEnroe's 7th career Grand Slam title and his 3rd Wimbledon title.
- It was Navratilova's 26th career Grand Slam title and her 5th Wimbledon singles title.
- It was Fleming's 7th career Grand Slam title and his 4th and last Wimbledon title. It was McEnroe's 14th career Grand Slam title and his 7th Wimbledon title.
- It was Navratilova's 27th career Grand Slam title and her 11th Wimbledon title. It was Shriver's 8th career Grand Slam title and her 4th Wimbledon title.
- It was Turnbull's 9th and last career Grand Slam title and her 3rd Wimbledon title. It was Lloyd's 3rd and last career Grand Slam title and his 2nd Wimbledon title.
1984 French Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by
1984 U.S. Open