1984 in radio
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The year 1984 in radio involved some significant events.
- 18 June – Controversial KOA/Denver radio talk show host Alan Berg gunned down in driveway of his home.
- 4 July – KBQC-FM (93.5 FM) in Bettendorf, Iowa signs on the air for the first time. The first format is middle of the road music with a community emphasis.
- October – CKLW-AM in Windsor, Ontario, the former "Big 8" Top 40 giant plagued by falling ratings for years, fires 79 staffers and goes mostly automated in preparation for a format change to Music of Your Life on 1 January 1985. CKLW's FM sister station CFXX experiments with a Top 40/Rock hybrid format called "94 Fox FM" in some dayparts, but its application to make "The Fox" a full-time format is denied by the CRTC and the experiment lasts only a few months.
- 5 November – Morning Ireland, Ireland's highest rated radio programme, is broadcast on RTÉ Radio 1 for the first time.
- Sports writer Ralph Barbieri joins KNBR to host his own sports talk show. He lasts at the station, which is eventually sold by NBC and converted to a full-time sports radio format, up until 11 April 2012.
- 27 January: Lou Crosby, 64, announcer for Gene Autry's Melody Ranch.
- 6 May: Ned Wever, 85, radio's Dick Tracy and actor in many other old-time radio programs.
- Jim Bannon, 73, actor in radio and Hollywood western films during the 1940s and 1950s.
- Alan Berg, 50, Denver, Colorado-based liberal radio talk show host and former attorney.
- Howard Culver, 66, an American radio and television actor.
- Fred Waring, 84, popular musician, bandleader and radio-television personality, died 29 July.
- Spratt, Gerry (2012-04-11). "Ralph Barbieri let go by KNBR - Sports Events". Blog.sfgate.com. Retrieved 2015-07-26.
- Cox, Jim (2008). This Day in Network Radio: A Daily Calendar of Births, Debuts, Cancellations and Other Events in Broadcasting History. McFarland & Company, Inc. ISBN 978-0-7864-3848-8.
- "The voice of Dick Tracy dies at 85". The Deseret News. May 8, 1984. p. A 3. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Dunning, John. (1998). On the Air: The Encyclopedia of Old-Time Radio. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-507678-3.
|This article related to radio is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This history article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|