1984 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1984 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in the year 1984.
- President: Ferdinand Marcos (KBL)
- Prime Minister: Cesar Virata (KBL)
- House Speaker: Nicanor Yñiguez
- Chief Justice: Enrique Fernando
- January 27 – National plebiscite and local plebiscites for the approval of the proposed constitutional amendments and local bills made by the Interim Batasang Pambansa was held.
- May 14 – Parliamentary elections were held. The opposition ran for the Regular Batasang Pambansa under the United Nationalist Democratic Organization (UNIDO) and the Partido Demokratikong Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-LABAN) against the ruling Kilusang Bagong Lipunan (KBL) of Ferdinand Marcos. The KBL won a majority with 114 seats, but markedly down from 163 seats last election.
- July 28-August 2 – The Philippines participated at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, United States.
- September 1 – Typhoon Nitang struck the Philippines. It killed 1,492 people and 1,856 more were injured. Roughly 1.6 million people were affected in the country. A total of 108,219 homes were destroyed and 142,653 more were damaged. However, President Ferdinand Marcos declared a state of calamity only after Nitang's onslaught.
- December 1 – Manila LRT Line 1 opened as the Southeast Asia's first rail line.
- January 20 – Toni Gonzaga, Filipina singer, television host and actress
- January 21 – Richard Gutierrez, Filipino actor and commercial model and his twin brother Raymond Gutierrez, actor and television host
- February 11 - Jeff Chan, basketball player
- March 6 - Joseph Christian Rubin, Knights of the Altar (KOA) President (1998-2003)
- March 10 - Paolo Contis, actor and comedian
- March 11 - Bernard Cardona, television host and actor
- May 23 – Sam Milby, Filipino-American actor, commercial model, and recording artist
- June - Angela Lagunzad, Filipina journalist, TV host
- July 9 - LA Tenorio, basketball player
- July 16 – Ginger Conejero
- July 19 – Alessandra De Rossi, actress
- July 24 -
- Pia Gutierrez, news reporter
- Boy 2 Quizon, comedian and actor
- August 10 – Mariel Rodriguez, Filipina commercial model, television host and actress
- August 12 – Marian Rivera, Filipina commercial model and actress
- September 22 - Marcelito Pomoy, singer
- September 27 - Macky Escalona, former basketball player
- November 28 – Joross Gamboa, Filipino actor
- November 29 – Sitti Navarro, Filipina bossa nova singer
- December 10 – Krista Ranillo, Filipina actress
- December 20 – Liezel Garcia, Filipina singer-songwriter and actress
- December 30 – Rico Barrera
- February 10 - Claudia Zobel, Filipino actress
- February 18 – Alejo Santos, Filipino soldier and World War II hero (b. 1911)
- May 24 – Gen. Tomas B. Karingal, Former chief of Quezon City Police Department. (b. 1915)
- November 14 – Cesar Climaco, Filipino politician (d. 1916)
- Ading Fernando
- Cipriano P. Sandoval
- "Official Olympic Reports". Archived from the original on March 7, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- Staff Writer (November 9, 2004). "Destructive Typhoons: 1970–2003". National Disaster Coordinating Council. Archived from the original on November 9, 2004. Retrieved December 6, 2009.
- "Richard Gutierrez". Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "GMA profile on Marian Rivera". Archived from the original on March 7, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "When the city falls in love with Sitti this Valentine's". The Freeman. The Philippine Star. Archived from the original on March 7, 2012. Retrieved January 21, 2010.
- "QCPD COMMEMORATES GEN. KARINGAL'S 31ST DEATH ANNIVERSARY". Metro Manila Today. 2015-05-26. Retrieved 2016-07-22.