|Directed by||Yen Tan|
|Screenplay by||Yen Tan|
|Story by||Yen Tan|
|Produced by||Ash Christian|
|Starring||Cory Michael Smith|
|Edited by||Yen Tan|
|Music by||Curtis Heath|
Floren Shieh Productions
|Distributed by||Wolfe Releasing Peccadillo Pictures|
1985 is a 2018 American drama film directed by Yen Tan and starring Cory Michael Smith, Virginia Madsen, Michael Chiklis, Aidan Langford, and Jamie Chung. The film is an expansion of an earlier short film of the same name that Tan released in 2016.
Set in Texas in 1985, the film stars Cory Michael Smith as Adrian Lester, a closeted gay man returning home to Dallas after several years living in New York City to tell his family goodbye, but not disclosing that he is dying of AIDS. The cast also includes Michael Chiklis and Virginia Madsen as Adrian's parents, Aidan Langford as his younger brother Andrew, and Jamie Chung as his childhood friend Carly.
The film premiered in March 2018 at SXSW. It subsequently screened at a number of LGBT and general-interest film festivals, including as the opening gala at the 2018 Vancouver Queer Film Festival. The movie's DVD and digital release was in December 2018. It also was released in the United Kingdom by Peccadillo Pictures, and is planned to be released in Australia, New Zealand and Germany.
1985 was given multiple prizes like the Grand Jury Prize at the SXSW Texas Competition, the Festival Best Feature at FIRE!! Mostra, the Audience Award and the Student Jury Prize at the Champs-Élysées Film Festival in Paris, the Grand Jury Award and the Best Screenwriting award at the Outfest Los Angeles LGBTQ Film Festival and the awards of: Best Feature Film, Best Writer for Yen Tan, Best Actor for Cory Michael Smith, Best Supporting Actor for Michael Chiklis, Best Supporting Actress for Jamie Chung at the Queen Palm International Film Festival.
- Dry, Jude (9 March 2018). "'1985' Review: Yen Tan Revisits and Reinvents the AIDS Film, With Moving Results — SXSW". IndieWire. Archived from the original on 10 March 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2022.
- Harvey, Dennis (28 June 2018). "Film Review: '1985'". Variety. Archived from the original on 8 August 2018. Retrieved 25 April 2022.
- Rooney, David (9 March 2018). "'1985': Film Review | SXSW 2018". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on 11 January 2022. Retrieved 26 April 2022.
- Gee, Dana (8 August 2018). "Yen Tan's moving 1985 opens 30th annual Vancouver Queer Film Festival". Vancouver Sun. Archived from the original on 10 August 2018. Retrieved 26 April 2022.
- "VITO screening of 1985 (2018)". Cinemamuseum. 3 February 2019. Archived from the original on 21 January 2021. Retrieved 26 April 2022.
- "And the winners is…". Mostrafire. Archived from the original on 6 April 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
Here the winning films of the 2018 edition of the FIRE !! Best Feature Film: 1985
- "2018 Awards". Champselyseesfilmfestival (in French). Archived from the original on 1 January 2019. Retrieved 27 April 2022.
Prix du Public du Film Américain Indépendant : 1985 de Yen Tan