1985 Intercontinental Cup
|Juventus won 4–2 on penalties|
|Date||8 December 1985|
|Venue||National Stadium, Tokyo|
|Man of the Match||Michel Platini (Juventus)|
|Referee||Volker Roth (Germany)|
The 1985 Intercontinental Cup was a football match played on December 8, 1985, between Juventus, winners of the 1984-85 European Cup, and Argentinos Juniors, winners of the 1985 Copa Libertadores. Recognised as the best edition in the history of the tournament for technical and agonistic level, the match was played at the National Stadium in Tokyo. It was Juventus' second appearance into the competition, after replacing Ajax in 1973.
After their triumph in the competition, Juventus became the first football team ever—remain the only one at present—to have won all official continental competitions and the club world title. Also, Italian defenders Gaetano Scirea and Antonio Cabrini became the first European footballers to have won all international club competitions and Giovanni Trapattoni, the first European manager in association football history to do so.
8 December 1985
|Juventus||2–2 (a.e.t.)||Argentinos Juniors|
|Platini 63' (pen.)
José Antonio Castro 75'
Man of the Match:
- Aldo Proieto (1985-12-10). "Juventus-Argentinos: Un partido inolvidable". El Gráfico (in Spanish). 3453.
- In addition, Juventus F.C. were the first club in association football history to have won all possible confederation competitions (e.g. the international tournaments organised by UEFA) and remain tied with Tunisia's Étoile Sportive du Sahel as the only in the world to achieve this. Cf. "Legend: List of UEFA club competitions". Union des Associations Européennes de Football. Archived from the original on 2010-01-31. Retrieved 2006-08-21.
"ES du Sahel: Étoile Sahel, an African institution". Fédération Internationale de Football Association. Retrieved 2009-08-19.
- "La primera final italiana" (PDF) (in Spanish). La Vanguardia. 2003-05-15. p. 55. Retrieved 2009-11-15.
- "We are the champions". Fédération Internationale de Football Association. 2005-12-01. Archived from the original on 2011-04-30. Retrieved 2009-10-28.
- "Il presidente Tessone ce l'ha con l'arbitro" (in Italian). La Stampa. 1985-12-09. p. 16. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "Toyota Cup - Most Valuable Player of the Match Award". Archived from the original on 14 April 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-30.