1985 in India
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1985 in the Republic of India.
- 10 April - Chakravarty Committee was set up by the RBI to review the working of monetary system. Its recommendations had far reaching consequences eventually removing India from the 500-year old silver standard
- 23 June - Air India Flight 182, a Boeing 747, blows up 31,000 feet (9,500 m) above the Atlantic Ocean, south of Ireland, killing all 329 aboard.
- By mid-1985, the statutory preemption on banks' resources in the form of the Statutory Liquidity Ratio and the Cash Reserve Ratio exceeded 45%.
- The Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act is passed by Parliament.
- The Administrative tribunals in Delhi, Mumbai, Calcutta and Allahabad were established by Administrative Tribunals Act, 1985.
- The Special Protection Group is created.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University is established by an Act of Indian Parliament.
- Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) is passed by parliament.
- Texas Instruments, a Multinational corporation, starts its India operations in Bangalore and helps create infrastructure to export software via satellite communications from India for the first time.
- 19 March-Swapnil Salvi
- 6 April - Jai, actor.
- 9 May - Neha Bamb, actress.
- 19 June - Kajal Aggarwal, actress.
- 5 September - Maanvi Gagroo, actress.
- 11 November - Robin Uthappa, cricketer.
- 6 November - Sanjeev Kumar, actor (born 1938).