1986 Independence Bowl
|1986 Independence Bowl|
|Date||December 20, 1986|
|MVP||QB Mark Young, Ole Miss
DE James Mosley, Texas Tech
|Referee||Larry Rice (PCAA)|
|United States TV coverage|
The Rebels finished tied for 2nd in the Southeastern Conference in their first bowl game since 1983, which was also in the Independence Bowl. David McWilliams left Texas Tech for the University of Texas prior to the bowl game, leaving the job to Spike Dykes in the first bowl game for the Red Raiders since 1977.
- Ole Miss: Willie Goodloe 1 run (Owen kick) - 7-0 Ole Miss
- Ole Miss: Joe Mickles 9 run (Owen kick) - 14-0 Ole Miss
- Ole Miss: Owen 21 field goal - 17-0 Ole Miss
- Texas Tech: James Gray 1 run (Segrist kick) - 17-7 Ole Miss
- Texas Tech: Merv Scurlark 33 interception return (Segrist kick) - 17-14 Ole Miss
- Texas Tech: Segrist 19 field goal - 17-17 tie
- Ole Miss: Owen 48 field goal - 20-17 Ole Miss
Dykes remained the Red Raiders head coach until 1999, reaching six more bowl games, with the last being against Ole Miss, in 1998. Ole Miss reached four more bowl games with Brewer before he was fired in 1993.
|Statistics||Ole Miss||Texas Tech|
- "Mississippi Wins Independence Bowl". Daily Sitka Sentinel. Associated Press. December 22, 1986. p. 6. Retrieved June 13, 2017 – via Newspapers.com.