1986 LPGA Championship
|Dates||May 29 – June 1, 1986|
|Course(s)||Jack Nicklaus Golf Center|
|Format||Stroke play - 72 holes|
|Length||6,242 yards (5,708 m)|
The 1986 LPGA Championship was held May 29 to June 1 at Jack Nicklaus Golf Center at Kings Island in Mason, Ohio, a suburb northeast of Cincinnati. Played on the Grizzly Course, this was the 32nd edition of the LPGA Championship.
Entering the final round four strokes behind, Pat Bradley birdied the last hole for a 68 to win by a stroke over runner-up Patty Sheehan. It was the fifth of her six major championships, the second of three in 1986, and completed the career grand slam. With the win, Bradley became the first to surpass $2 million in earnings on the LPGA Tour.
Past champions in the field
Made the cut
|Player||Country||Year(s) won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Patty Sheehan||United States||1983, 1984||72||70||69||67||280||−10||2|
Missed the cut
|Player||Country||Year won||R1||R2||Total||To par|
|Louise Suggs||United States||1957||84||80||164||+20|
|Sally Little||South Africa||1980||75|
Sunday, June 1, 1986
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Pat Bradley||United States||67-72-70-68=277||−11||45,000|
|2||Patty Sheehan||United States||72-70-69-67=278||−10||27,750|
|T3||Juli Inkster||United States||70-72-68-69=279||−9||18,000|
|5||Muffin Spencer-Devlin||United States||72-67-74-68=281||−7||12,750|
|6||Cindy Mackey||United States||70-70-68-74=282||−6||10,500|
|7||Myra Blackwelder||United States||71-71-71-70=283||−5||8,850|
|8||Penny Pulz||United States||71-71-70-72=284||−4||7,800|
|T9||Sharon Barrett||United States||72-70-69-74=285||−3||6,353|
|Connie Chillemi||United States||68-74-75-68=285|
|Lori Garbacz||United States||65-74-74-72=285|
- "Okamoto near major win". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. June 1, 1986. p. 7B.
- "Bradley comes from 4 strokes behind to win LPGA title". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Associated Press. June 2, 1986. p. 13.
- Hackenberg, Dave (June 2, 1986). "Bradley's dramatic birdie wins LPGA Championship". Toledo Blade. (Ohio). p. 22.
- "Bradley tallies to take LPGA". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). Associated Press. June 2, 1986. p. C1.
- "Bradley halfway to a grand slam". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. June 2, 1986. p. 3B.
- "Lopez gives birth to daughter". Gadsden Times. (Alabama). Associated Press. May 27, 1986. p. D3.
- "Garbacz tops LPGA major". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. May 30, 1986. p. 5D.
- "She feels and is under par". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). Associated Press. May 31, 1986. p. 4C.