1986 San Salvador earthquake
|UTC time||1986-10-10 17:49:26|
|Local date||October 10, 1986|
|Magnitude||5.7 Mw |
|Depth||10 km (6.2 mi) |
|Areas affected||El Salvador |
|Max. intensity||IX (Violent) |
|Casualties||1,000–1,500 fatalities  |
10,000–20,000 injuries 
The 1986 San Salvador earthquake occurred at 11:49:26 local time on October 10 with a moment magnitude of 5.7 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of IX (Violent). The shock caused considerable damage to El Salvador's capital city of San Salvador and surrounding areas, including neighboring Honduras and Guatemala.
The 1986 San Salvador earthquake occurred within the upper crust of the Caribbean Plate along the Central American volcanic chain. It was a result of left-lateral strike slip faulting perpendicular to the Central American volcanic chain. The earthquake also caused landslides located in the San Salvador area.
The earthquake caused between 1,000 and 1,500 deaths, 10,000 injuries, and left 200,000 homeless. Shallow shocks directly under San Salvador caused the destruction of multiple structures. San Salvador's children's hospital, a marketplace, many restaurants and buildings, and shanty towns were significantly damaged or destroyed.
- ISC (19 January 2015), ISC-GEM Global Instrumental Earthquake Catalogue (1900–2009), Version 2.0, International Seismological Centre
- USGS (September 4, 2009), PAGER-CAT Earthquake Catalog, Version 2008_06.1, United States Geological Survey
- Bertero, V. V. (February 4, 1988). "Evolving Earthquake Hazard Mitigation Practices : Implications from Recent Chile, Mexico, and El Salvador Earthquakes, 1988 Annual Meeting (EERI)". The San Salvador earthquake of October 19, 1986. Mesa, Arizona: Earthquake Engineering Research Institute. p. 5. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-04-14.
- "Significant earthquakes in 1986". Archived from the original on 2009-02-27.
- White, Randall A.; Harlow, David H.; Alvarez, Salvador (1987-08-01). "The San Salvador Earthquake of October 10, 1986—Seismological Aspects and Other Recent Local Seismicity". Earthquake Spectra. 3 (3): 419–434. doi:10.1193/1.1585439. ISSN 8755-2930.
- "El Salvador Earthquake October 1986". International Rescue Corps. Retrieved 2016-03-01.
- October 10, 1986 San Salvador El Salvador earthquake – National Geophysical Data Center
- The International Seismological Centre has a bibliography and/or authoritative data for this event.
|This article about an earthquake in Central America is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This El Salvador–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|