1986 South Dakota gubernatorial election
Mickelson: 50-60% 60-70%Herseth: 50–60% 60–70% 70–80%
|Elections in South Dakota|
The 1986 South Dakota gubernatorial election was held on November 4, 1986 to elect the Governor of South Dakota. Incumbent Bill Janklow was term-limited, so the field for the new governor was open. Republican nominee George S. Mickelson was elected, defeating Democratic nominee Ralph Lars Herseth.
- George S. Mickelson, Speaker of the South Dakota House of Representatives
- Clint Roberts, former member of the United States House of Representatives from South Dakota's 2nd district
- Lowell Hansen, incumbent Lieutenant Governor of South Dakota
- Alice Kundert, South Dakota Secretary of State
|Republican||George S. Mickelson||40,979||35.30|
- Ralph Lars Herseth, State Representative
|Republican||George S. Mickelson||152,543||51.81|
|Democratic||Ralph Lars Herseth||141,898||48.19|
- Leip, David (April 17, 2007). "1986 Gubernatorial Republican Primary Election Results - South Dakota". Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "Official Election Returns and Registration Figures for South Dakota" (PDF). South Dakota Secretary of State. South Dakota Secretary of State. 1986. p. 3. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Leip, David (May 18, 2008). "1986 Gubernatorial General Election Results - South Dakota". Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections. Retrieved June 5, 2014.