1986 St. Louis Cardinals season
|1986 St. Louis Cardinals|
|Major League affiliations|
|Owner(s)||August "Gussie" Busch|
|General manager(s)||Dal Maxvill|
(Jack Buck, Mike Shannon, Jay Randolph)
Cardinal Cable Network
(Al Hrabosky, Ken Wilson)
(Jack Buck, Mike Shannon)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1986 St. Louis Cardinals season was the team's 105th season in St. Louis, Missouri and its 95th season in the National League. The Cardinals went 79-82 during the season and finished 3rd in the National League East division.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- December 6, 1985: Gary Rajsich was purchased from the Cardinals by the Chunichi Dragons.
- December 10, 1985: Joaquín Andújar was traded by the Cardinals to the Oakland Athletics for Mike Heath and Tim Conroy.
- December 10, 1985: Clint Hurdle was drafted by the Cardinals from the New York Mets in the 1985 rule 5 draft.
- December 15, 1985: Jerry White was signed as a free agent by the Cardinals.
- January 13, 1986: Vic Rodriguez was signed as a free agent by the Cardinals.
- January 14, 1986: Bret Barberie was drafted by the Cardinals in the 2nd round of the 1986 Major League Baseball Draft, but did not sign.
- March 21, 1986: Alan Knicely was signed as a free agent by the Cardinals.
- March 31, 1986: Tom Nieto was traded by the Cardinals to the Montreal Expos for Fred Manrique.
Pitcher Todd Worrell won the Rookie of the Year Award this year, with a 2.08 ERA and 36 saves. This was the second consecutive year a Cardinal won the Rookie of the Year Award, with Vince Coleman winning the previous season, and the second time in team history that the Cardinals had two consecutive NL Rookie of the Year winners (Wally Moon in 1954 and Bill Virdon in 1955). Shortstop Ozzie Smith and outfielder Willie McGee won Gold Gloves this year.
|New York Mets||108||54||0.667||—||55–26||53–28|
|St. Louis Cardinals||79||82||0.491||28½||42–39||37–43|
Record vs. opponents
1986 National League Records
Sources:            
Opening Day starters
- Jack Clark
- Vince Coleman
- Mike Heath
- Tom Herr
- Willie McGee
- Terry Pendleton
- Ozzie Smith
- John Tudor
- Andy Van Slyke
- April 1, 1986: Brian Harper was released by the Cardinals.
- April 11, 1986: Ray Burris was signed as a free agent by the Cardinals.
- June 12, 1986: Jerry White was released by the Cardinals.
- July 19, 1986: César Cedeño was signed as a free agent by the Cardinals.
- July 24, 1986: Steve Lake was signed as a free agent by the Cardinals.
- August 10, 1986: Mike Heath was traded by the Cardinals to the Detroit Tigers for Ken Hill and a player to be named later. The Tigers completed the deal by sending Mike Laga to the Cardinals on September 2.
- August 27, 1986: Ray Burris was released by the St. Louis Cardinals.
|1986 St. Louis Cardinals|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|SS||Smith, OzzieOzzie Smith||153||514||144||.280||0||54|
|CF||McGee, WillieWillie McGee||124||497||127||.256||7||48|
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|Hurdle, ClintClint Hurdle||78||154||30||.195||3||15|
|Heath, MikeMike Heath||65||190||39||.205||4||25|
|Knicely, AlanAlan Knicely||34||82||16||.195||1||6|
|Lindeman, JimJim Lindeman||19||55||14||.255||1||6|
|White, JerryJerry White||25||24||3||.125||1||3|
|Manrique, FredFred Manrique||13||17||3||.176||1||1|
Note: G = Games pitched; IP = Innings pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
|Conroy, TimTim Conroy||25||115.1||5||11||5.23||79|
|Ownbey, RickRick Ownbey||17||42.2||1||3||3.80||25|
Note: G = Games pitched; W = Wins; L = Losses; SV = Saves; ERA = Earned run average; SO = Strikeouts
|Bargar, GregGreg Bargar||22||0||2||0||5.60||12|
Awards and honors
- Vince Coleman, National League Stolen Base Leader, 107
- Willie McGee, Outfield, National League Gold Glove
- Ozzie Smith, Shortstop, National League Gold Glove
- Todd Worrell, National League Rookie of the Year
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: St. Petersburg
- Gary Rajsich page at Baseball Reference
- Joaquin Andujar page at Baseball Reference
- Clint Hurdle page at Baseball Reference
- Jerry White page at Baseball Reference
- Vic Rodriguez page at Baseball Reference
- Bret Barberie page at Baseball Reference
- Alan Knicely page at Baseball Reference
- Tom Nieto page at Baseball Reference
- 1986 St. Louis Cardinals Roster by Baseball Almanac
- Brian Harper page at Baseball Reference
- Ray Burris page at Baseball Reference
- César Cedeño page at Baseball Reference
- Steve Lake page at Baseball Reference
- Ken Hill page at Baseball Reference
- Stolen Bases Single Season National League Leaders by Baseball Almanac
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd and 3rd editions. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 1997 and 2007