1987 Pittsburgh Pirates season
|1987 Pittsburgh Pirates|
|Major League affiliations|
|Divisional place||4th (tie)|
|General manager(s)||Syd Thrift|
Lanny Frattare, Jim Rooker, John Sanders
Pirates Cable Network
Steve Blass, Mike Lange
Lanny Frattare, Jim Rooker
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1987 Pittsburgh Pirates season was the 106th season of the Pittsburgh Pirates franchise; and their 101st season in the National League. The Pirates finished fifth in the National League East with a record of 80–82.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and honors
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- October 11, 1986: Mike York was signed as a free agent by the Pirates.
- November 26, 1986: Rick Rhoden, Pat Clements and Cecilio Guante were traded by the Pirates to the New York Yankees for Doug Drabek, Brian Fisher, and Logan Easley.
- December 4, 1986: Mark Ross was signed as a free agent by the Pirates.
- December 5, 1986: Rick Renteria was traded by the Pirates to the Seattle Mariners for a player to be named later. The Mariners completed the deal by sending Bob Siegel (minors) to the Pirates on December 10.
- December 10, 1986: Houston Jiménez was signed as a free agent by the Pirates.
Opening Day starters
|St. Louis Cardinals||95||67||0.586||—||49–32||46–35|
|New York Mets||92||70||0.568||3||49–32||43–38|
Record vs. opponents
1987 National League Records
Sources:            
- April 1, 1987: Tony Peña was traded by the Pirates to the St. Louis Cardinals for Mike LaValliere, Mike Dunne and Andy Van Slyke.
- April 6, 1987: Lee Tunnell was purchased from the Pirates by the St. Louis Cardinals.
- June 2, 1987: Steve Carter was Drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 17th round of the 1987 amateur draft.
- June 2, 1987: Paul Miller was drafted by the Pirates in the 53rd round of the 1987 Major League Baseball Draft.
- July 31, 1987: Don Robinson was traded by the Pirates to the San Francisco Giants for Mackey Sasser and $50,000.
- August 7, 1987: Jim Morrison was traded by the Pirates to the Detroit Tigers with to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Darnell Coles and a player to be named later. The Tigers completed the deal by sending Morris Madden to the Pirates on August 12.
- August 21, 1987: Rick Reuschel was traded by the Pirates to the San Francisco Giants for Jeff Robinson and Scott Medvin.
- August 29, 1987: Johnny Ray was traded by the Pirates to the California Angels for a player to be named later and Billy Merrifield (minors). The Angels sent Miguel Garcia on September 3, 1987 to complete the trade.
|1987 Pittsburgh Pirates|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
|CF||Andy Van Slyke||157||564||165||.293||21||82|
|RF||R. J. Reynolds||117||335||87||.260||7||51|
|U L Washington||10||10||3||.300||0||0|
Awards and honors
- Rick Reuschel, P, Reserve
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Harrisburg, Salem
- From 1882-1906, the team played in Allegheny, Pennsylvania, which became annexed by Pittsburgh as the North Shore in 1907.
- Mike York page at Baseball Reference
- Rick Rhoden page at Baseball Reference
- Mark Ross page at Baseball Reference
- Rick Renteria page at Baseball Reference
- Houston Jiménez page at Baseball Reference
- Mike LaValliere page at Baseball Reference
- Lee Tunnell page at Baseball Reference
- http: Steve Carter was//www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cartest01.shtml
- Paul Miller page at Baseball Reference
- Mackey Sasser page at Baseball Reference
- Darnell Coles page at Baseball Reference
- Rick Reuschel page at Baseball Reference
- 1987 Pittsburgh Pirates team page at Baseball Reference
- 1987 Pittsburgh Pirates team page at www.baseball-almanac.com
- Johnson, Lloyd; Wolff, Miles, eds. (2007). The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball (3rd ed.). Durham, N.C.: Baseball America. ISBN 978-1-932391-17-6.