1987 in Malaysia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
1987 in Malaysia
30 years of nationhood
- Yang di-Pertuan Agong: Sultan Iskandar
- Raja Permaisuri Agong: Sultanah Zanariah
- Prime Minister: Dato' Sri Dr Mahathir Mohammad
- Deputy Prime Minister: Dato' Ghafar Baba
- Sultan of Johor: Tunku Ibrahim Ismail (Regent)
- Sultan of Kedah: Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah
- Sultan of Kelantan: Sultan Ismail Petra
- Raja of Perlis: Tuanku Syed Putra
- Sultan of Perak: Sultan Azlan Shah (Deputy Yang di-Pertuan Agong)
- Sultan of Pahang: Sultan Ahmad Shah
- Sultan of Selangor: Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah
- Sultan of Terengganu: Sultan Mahmud Al-Muktafi Billah Shah
- Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan: Tuanku Jaafar
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Penang: Tun Dr Awang Hassan
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Malacca: Tun Syed Ahmad Al-Haj bin Syed Mahmud Shahabuddin
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sarawak: Tun Ahmad Zaidi Adruce Mohammed Noor
- Yang di-Pertua Negeri (Governor) of Sabah:
- 1 January – Jabatan Telekom (Telecomunication Department) was incorporated as Syarikat Telekom Malaysia Berhad (STM).
- February – The Carcosa was returned to the Government of Malaysia and renamed as "Carcosa Seri Negara".
- 9 March – During the Ming Court political crisis of Sarawak, 27 out of the 48 state assemblymen suddenly announced their support on Abdul Rahman Ya'kub while calling Abdul Taib Mahmud to resign as chief minister.
- April – The Malaysian constitutional crisis occurred.
- 16 April – Abdul Taib Mahmud won the Sarawak state election following the Ming Court crisis.
- June – Menara Maybank or Maybank Tower becomes the tallest building in Kuala Lumpur.
- July – Opening of the Petronas petroleum and gas refinery in Kerteh, Terengganu
- 1 October – The closed-toll system came into force along the Kuala Lumpur-Ayer Keroh and Ipoh-Changkat Jering expressways
- 15 October – Malaysian Airline System (MAS) changed its corporate identity and became known as Malaysia Airlines.
- 27 October – Operation Lalang: More than 100 opposition activists are arrested, including Lim Kit Siang, under Internal Security Act (ISA).
- 28 October – The hatchback version of Proton Saga "Aeroback" is launched.
Setia Bersatu Berusaha Maju
- September - 1987 World Silat Championships
- 26 June - Azizul Ammar, comedian
- 18 September - Tan Boon Heong, badminton player
- Hamzah Dolmat - violinist