1987 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1987 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in the year 1987.
- President: Corazon Aquino (PDP-Laban)
- Vice President: Salvador Laurel (UNIDO)
- Chief Justice: Claudio Teehankee (1986–88)
- Philippine Congress: 8th Congress of the Philippines
- Senate President: Jovito Salonga (Liberal)
- House Speaker: Ramon V. Mitra, Jr. (LDP, 2nd District Palawan)
- January 22 – Mendiola massacre takes place when peasant farmers rallied against President Aquino and for land reform, and ended in a bloody shooting killing 13 and 74 others injured.
- January 27–29 – Mutinous rebels seized GMA Network compound in Quezon City, leaving its employees and the network's President and CEO and his family as hostages which lasted for two days as a reward for Marcos' return. The two-day plot ended in a skirmish, killing a rebel soldier and 35 others were hurt.
- February 2 – The constitution drafted by the Constitutional Commission of 1986 is adopted, after a vote of 76.37% in the referendum for its ratification.
- February 11 – Manila Standard (now The Standard) released its first issue.
- March 1 – ABS-CBN launches the Star Network for the relaunch of Channel 2 after six months and the first white tri-ribbon 2 logo laced with a rhomboidal star came to be.
- March 2 – TV Patrol was launched as its first flagship evening newscast replacing the former flagship national news program Balita Ngayon.
- June 27 – Philippine Airlines PR 206 crashes into a mountain in Benguet with 50 passengers killed. The air crash was the second worst air disaster at that time.
- August 28–29 – Coup attempt takes place when rebel soldiers made a threatened reprisal against Aquino and ended in a gunfight with 50 people killed and 200 wounded as Government troops fizzled the plot.
- November 25 – Super Typhoon Sisang slammed into Luzon, killing 1,063 people and what is believed as the worst typhoon to hit an area in the 20th century.
- December 14–15 – 3rd ASEAN Summit was held in Manila, Philippines.
- December 20 – The passenger ferry MV Doña Paz and the oil tanker MT Vector are collided and sank in Tablas Strait, killing 4,341 passengers and crew. The collision made as the deadliest peacetime maritime disaster of the 20th century.
- June 23 – The Tanduay Rhum Makers win the 1987 PBA Open Conference Finals against the Great Taste Coffee Makers, 134-120
- August 8 – UAAP Games Green Archers was First Won Against Growling Tigers was Score 72–63.
- August 23 – UAAP Games Blue Eagles was First Won Against Green Archers was Score 95-91.
- September 5 – UAAP Games Green Archers was Won Again Against Growling Tigers was Score 68–60 in Green Archers First Won Meeting on UAAP Games.
- September 8 – The Great Taste Coffee Makers win the 1987 PBA All-Filipino Conference Finals against the Hills Bros. Coffee Kings.
- September 26 – UAAP Games Blue Eagles was won Again Against Green Archers was score 98-89 in Blue Eagles First Won Meeting on UAAP Games.
- October 4 – The Ateneo Blue Eagles win the UAAP Season 50 men's basketball championship against the UE Red Warriors, 94–92.
- October 11 – The Letran Knights win the NCAA Season 63 men's basketball championship against the San Sebastian Stags.
- December 13 – The San Miguel Beermen win the 1987 PBA Reinforced Conference Finals against the Hills Bros. Coffee Kings.
- January 10 – Misagh Bahadoran, football player
- January 25 – Japeth Aguilar, basketball player
- January 29:
- March 16 – Paw Diaz, actress
- March 30 – Josie Gabuco, boxer
- May 5 – Richie Mepranum, boxer
- May 15 – Jennylyn Mercado, actress, former Matinee Idol
- May 27 – Bangs Garcia, actress
- June 4 – Gretchen Fullido
- June 11 – Kean Cipriano, actor, commercial, endorsement
- June 20 – Daiana Menezes, model and actress
- August 4 – Phil Younghusband, football player
- August 11 – Alyssa Alano, actress and singer
- August 13 – Pepe Diokno, director
- August 18 – Sam Y.G., Radio DJ, singer and TV host
- August 23 – Nikki Gil, actress, endorsement, VTR Voice
- September 13 – John James Uy, actor
- September 26 – Maricris Garcia, actress and singer
- September 30 – Denise Laurel, actress, endorsement, commercial
- October 1 – Tom Rodriguez, actor
- October 12 – Mercito Gesta, boxer
- October 17 – Bea Alonzo, actress, endorsement, commercial
- October 22 – Jade Lopez, actress
- October 26 – Sylvester Lopez, boxer
- November 4
- November 28 – Bianca Manalo, actress and beauty queen
- December 13 – Rachel Anne Daquis, volleyball player
- December 19 – Slater Young, actor
- December 21
- December 25
- December 30 – Jake Cuenca, actor, endorsement, VTR voice, commercial, host
- May 3 – Roberto Concepcion
- August 21 – Jaime Ferrer
- August 24 – Jose Caballero
- August 27 – Dindo Fernando
- August 31 – Vic Silayan
- September 19 – Leandro Alejandro
- October 27 – Joel Alano
- December 7 – Jaime Ongpin
- January 1 – New Year's Day
- February 25 – 1986 EDSA Revolution
- April 9 – Araw ng Kagitingan (Day of Valor)
- April 16 – Maundy Thursday
- April 17 – Good Friday
- April 19 – Easter Sunday
- May 1 – Labor Day
- June 12 – Independence Day
- November 1 – All Saints Day
- November 30 – Bonifacio Day
- December 25 – Christmas
- December 30 – Rizal Day
- December 31 – New Year's Eve