1988 Australian Open
|1988 Australian Open|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Surface||Hardcourt (Rebound Ace)|
|Rick Leach / Jim Pugh|
|Martina Navratilova / Pam Shriver|
|Jana Novotná / Jim Pugh|
|Jason Stoltenberg / Todd Woodbridge|
|Jo-Anne Faull / Rachel McQuillan|
The 1988 Australian Open was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts at Flinders Park in Melbourne in Victoria in Australia. It was the 76th edition of the Australian Open and was held from 11 through 24 January 1988 and was the first edition of the tournament hosted at Flinders Park. It would mark the first time a Grand Slam final would be played indoors under a roof; after the first 3 games of the Women's Final, there was a 1-hour & 23 min delay to close the roof.
This was the first Australian Open to have 128-players in each singles category, in line with the other three majors.
- It was Wilander's 5th career Grand Slam title and his 3rd and last Australian Open title.
- It was Graf's 2nd career Grand Slam title and her 1st Australian Open title. She became the first German player – male or female – to win an Australian Open singles title.
- It was Leach's 1st career Grand Slam title and his 1st Australian Open title. It was Pugh's 1st career Grand Slam title and his 1st Australian Open title.
- It was Navratilova's 49th career Grand Slam title and her 10th Australian Open title. It was Shriver's 20th career Grand Slam title and her 7th Australian Open title.
- It was Novotná's 1st career Grand Slam title and her 1st Australian Open title. It was Pugh's 2nd career Grand Slam title and his 2nd Australian Open title.
1987 US Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by|
1988 French Open