1988 Cannes Film Festival
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Official poster of the 41st Cannes Film Festival, featuring an original illustration by Tibor Timar.
|Opening film||Le Grand Bleu|
|Awards||Palme d'Or (Pelle erobreren)|
|Number of films||21 (In Competition)
22 (Un Certain Regard)
7 (Out of Competition)
9 (Short Film)
|Festival date||11 May 1988– 23 May 1988|
- Ettore Scola
- Claude Berri
- David Robinson
- Yelena Safonova
- George Miller
- Hector Olivera
- Nastassja Kinski
- Philippe Sarde
- Robby Muller
- William Goldman - Goldman wrote about the experience in his book Hype and Glory.
Feature film competition
- A World Apart by Chris Menges
- Arashi ga oka by Yoshishige Yoshida
- Bird by Clint Eastwood
- Chocolat by Claire Denis
- Der Passagier - Welcome to Germany by Thomas Brasch
- Drowning by Numbers by Peter Greenaway
- El Dorado by Carlos Saura
- El Lute II: mañana seré libre by Vicente Aranda
- Hai zi wang by Chen Kaige
- Hanussen by István Szabó
- Krótki film o zabijaniu by Krzysztof Kieślowski
- L'enfance de l'art by Francis Girod
- L'oeuvre au noir by André Delvaux
- Miles from Home by Gary Sinise
- Os Canibais by Manoel de Oliveira
- Pascali's Island by James Dearden
- Patty Hearst by Paul Schrader
- Paura e amore by Margarethe von Trotta
- Pelle erobreren by Bille August
- Sur by Fernando Solanas
- The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey by Vincent Ward
Un Certain Regard
- A Song of Air by Merilee Bennett
- Antarjali Jatra by Gautam Ghose
- De sable et de sang by Jeanne Labrune
- Domani accadrà by Daniele Luchetti
- Gece Yolculuğu by Ömer Kavur
- Havinck by Frans Weisz
- Hôtel Terminus by Marcel Ophüls
- Ved vejen by Max von Sydow
- La maschera by Fiorella Infascelli
- La méridienne by Jean-François Amiguet
- Lamento by François Dupeyron
- Les Portes tournantes by Francis Mankiewicz
- Mapantsula by Oliver Schmitz
- Na srebrnym globie by Andrzej Żuławski
- Natalia by Bernard Cohn
- Proc? by Karel Smyczek
- Yuan nu by Fred Tan
- Slucaj Harms by Slobodan D. Pesic
- Sredi serykh kamney by Kira Muratova
- Yaldei Stalin by Nadav Levitan
- The Raggedy Rawney by Bob Hoskins
- Vreme na nasilie by Ludmil Staikov
Films out of competition
- Le Grand Bleu by Luc Besson
- The Blue Iguana by John Lafia
- Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam by Bill Couturié
- Histoire(s) du cinéma by Jean-Luc Godard
- The Milagro Beanfield War by Robert Redford
- Willow by Ron Howard
International Critics' Week
- Feature films
- Palme d'Or: Pelle erobreren by Bille August
- Grand Prix: A World Apart by Chris Menges
- Jury Prize: Krótki film o zabijaniu by Krzysztof Kieślowski
- Best Actor: Forest Whitaker for Bird
- Best Actress: Barbara Hershey, Jodhi May and Linda Mvusi for A World Apart
- Best Director: Fernando Solanas for Sur
- Short Film Palme d'Or: Vykrutasy by Garri Bardin
- Best Artistic Contribution: Peter Greenaway for Drowning by Numbers
- Technical Grand Prize: Bird, for the quality of the soundtrack
- Caméra d'Or: Salaam Bombay! by Mira Nair
- Perspectives du Cinéma Award: Bisbille by Roch Stéphanik
- Audience Award: Salaam Bombay! by Mira Nair
- FIPRESCI Prize:
- FIPRESCI Prize - Special Mention: Une femme pour l'hiver by Manuel Flèche
- Prize of the Ecumenical Jury: A World Apart by Chris Menges
- Prize of the Ecumenical Jury - Special Mention: Les Portes tournantes by Francis Mankiewicz
- Award of the Youth:
- Special Award of the Youth: De bruit et de fureur by Jean-Claude Brisseau
- "Posters 1988". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Official Selection 1988 : All the Selection". Retrieved 14 December 2013.
- "Danish Family Saga Wins Top Cannes Award "Pelle The Conqueror\" Wins The Golden Palm And \"a World Apart" Wins The Special Jury Prize At The Festival, Where Serious Films Prevail.". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Canby, Vincent (29 May 1988). "FILM VIEW; Before the Revolution - and After". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "1988 - A World Apart". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Jean-marc Barr Comes Out Of 'The Big Blue'". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "CINEMA DE LA PLAGE - The Big Blue (Le Grand Bleu), Besson's marine odyssey". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- "Cannes Focuses On Youth The French Film Festival Begins Tonight, Putting New Emphasis On New Filmmakers". Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- Benson, Sheila (12 May 1988). "Youth Being Served at 41st Cannes Film Festival : 20,000 Converge for French Rite That Focuses on 'Cinema of Next 10 Years'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 10 December 2013.
- 'Inside the Glitter Machine: HYPE AND GLORY By William Goldman'. Illustrated. 306pp. New York: Villard Books. $19.95. By Nora Johnson. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 22 Apr 1990: BR12.
- "Pushpak  [Silent Movie -Marginally Tamil with English subtitles] DVDRip - Demonoid".
- "Sakhya Indian Cinema Club: Pushpaka Vimana (The Love Chariot)". Graduate Union.
- "Need for a universal story". The Hindu.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 1988 Cannes Film Festival.|
- 1988 Cannes Film Festival
- Cannes Film Festival 1988
- Cannes Film Festival:1988 at Internet Movie Database