1988 Cleveland Indians season
|1988 Cleveland Indians|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Hank Peters|
Jack Corrigan, Steve Lamar
Herb Score, Paul Olden
|< Previous season Next season >|
Despite its mediocre season, the team had a significant legacy in Major League Baseball in the 21st century. Twenty-five years later, five of the 30 MLB managers at the start of the 2013 season were alumni of the 1988 Indians:
- Bud Black, pitcher – San Diego Padres
- Terry Francona, first baseman/outfielder – Cleveland Indians
- John Farrell, pitcher – Boston Red Sox
- Charlie Manuel, hitting coach – Philadelphia Phillies
- Ron Washington, utility infielder – Texas Rangers
The team also had players who became MLB Broadcasters, coaches, and front office executives:
- Scott Bailes, pitcher- fill-in broadcaster for the Cleveland Indians
- Tom Candiotti, pitcher- radio color analyst for the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Rod Nichols, pitcher- former Philadelphia Phillies bullpen coach, current Iowa Cubs pitching coach
- Rick Rodriguez, pitcher- former Oakland Athletics bullpen coach, current Sacramento River Cats
- Greg Swindell, pitcher- former Arizona Diamondbacks pregame and postgame analyst. In 2011, Swindell served as the Color commentator for the Little League Southwest Region tournament
- Chris Bando, catcher- former Milwaukee Brewers bench and 3rd base coach from 1996–1998
- Jay Bell, infielder- former Arizona Diamondbacks bench and hitting coach, former Pittsburgh Pirates hitting coach, former Cincinnati Reds bench coach
- Brook Jacoby, infielder- former Cincinnati Reds hitting coach and current Toronto Blue Jays hitting coach
- Willie Upshaw, infielder- former San Francisco Giants 1st base coach
- Joe Carter, outfielder- former Toronto Blue Jays and Chicago Cubs TV analyst
- Dave Clark, outfielder- former Pittsburgh Pirates hitting coach, former Houston Astros interim manager, 3rd base coach, and 1st base coach, and currently the Detroit Tigers third base coach
- Cory Snyder, outfielder- hitting coach for the Jackson Generals, a Double-A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners
- Pat Tabler, outfielder- Toronto Blue Jays TV color analyst
- Rod Allen, outfielder- former Arizona Diamondbacks broadcaster, current Detroit Tigers television analyst
- Dan Firova, catcher- current Washington Nationals bullpen coach
- Doug Jones, closer- current pitching coach of the Boise Hawks, the short-season A affiliate of the Colorado Rockies
- January 15, 1988: Rick Rodriguez was signed as a free agent by the Indians.
- January 19, 1988: John Moses was signed as a free agent by the Indians.
- January 19, 1988: Greg Harris was signed as a free agent by the Indians.
- February 3, 1988: Doug Piatt was signed as an amateur free agent by the Indians.
- February 9, 1988: Dan Schatzeder was signed as a free agent by the Indians.
- February 22, 1988: Chris Codiroli was signed as a free agent by the Indians.
- February 28, 1988: Terry Francona was signed as a free agent by the Indians.
- March 17, 1988: Mark Huismann was released by the Indians.
- March 24, 1988: Greg Harris was released by the Indians.
- March 25, 1988: Willie Upshaw was purchased by the Indians from the Toronto Blue Jays.
- March 29, 1988: John Moses was released by the Indians.
|Boston Red Sox||89||73||0.549||—||53–28||36–45|
|Toronto Blue Jays||87||75||0.537||2||45–36||42–39|
|New York Yankees||85||76||0.528||3½||46–34||39–42|
Record vs. opponents
1988 American League Records
- May 11, 1988: Dan Firova was signed as a free agent by the Indians.
- June 2, 1988: Houston Jiménez was signed as a free agent by the Indians.
- June 3, 1988: Pat Tabler was traded by the Indians to the Kansas City Royals for Bud Black.
- June 22, 1988: Dan Schatzeder was released by the Cleveland Indians.
- September 6, 1988: Chris Codiroli was released by the Indians.
|1988 Cleveland Indians|
|Allanson, AndyAndy Allanson||133||434||44||114||11||0||5||50||.263||5|
|Allen, RodRod Allen||5||11||1||1||1||0||0||0||.091||0|
|Bando, ChrisChris Bando||32||72||6||9||1||0||1||8||.125||0|
|Bell, JayJay Bell||73||211||23||46||5||1||2||21||.218||4|
|Carter, JoeJoe Carter||157||621||85||168||36||6||27||98||.271||27|
|Castillo, CarmeloCarmelo Castillo||66||176||12||48||8||0||4||14||.273||6|
|Clark, DaveDave Clark||63||156||11||41||4||1||3||18||.263||0|
|Firova, DanDan Firova||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||—||0|
|Franco, JulioJulio Franco||152||613||88||186||23||6||10||54||.303||25|
|Francona, TerryTerry Francona||62||212||24||66||8||0||1||12||.311||0|
|Hall, MelMel Hall||150||515||69||144||32||4||6||71||.280||7|
|Jacoby, BrookBrook Jacoby||152||552||59||133||25||0||9||49||.241||2|
|Jimenez, HoustonHouston Jimenez||9||21||1||1||0||0||0||1||.048||0|
|Jordan, ScottScott Jordan||7||9||0||1||0||0||0||1||.111||0|
|Kittle, RonRon Kittle||75||225||31||58||8||0||18||43||.258||0|
|Lampkin, TomTom Lampkin||4||4||0||0||0||0||0||0||.000||0|
|Medina, LuisLuis Medina||16||51||10||13||0||0||6||8||.255||0|
|Ramos, DomingoDomingo Ramos||22||46||7||12||1||0||0||5||.261||0|
|Snyder, CoryCory Snyder||142||511||71||139||24||3||26||75||.272||5|
|Tabler, PatPat Tabler||41||143||16||32||5||1||1||17||.224||1|
|Tingley, RonRon Tingley||9||24||1||4||0||0||1||2||.167||0|
|Upshaw, WillieWillie Upshaw||149||493||58||121||22||3||11||50||.245||12|
|Washington, RonRon Washington||69||223||30||57||14||2||2||21||.256||3|
|Williams, EddieEddie Williams||10||21||3||4||0||0||0||1||.190||0|
|Williams, ReggieReggie Williams||11||31||7||7||2||0||1||3||.226||0|
|Zuvella, PaulPaul Zuvella||51||130||9||30||5||1||0||7||.231||0|
|Bailes, ScottScott Bailes||9||14||4.90||37||21||0||145.0||89||79||46||53|
|Black, BudBud Black||2||3||5.03||16||7||1||59.0||35||33||23||44|
|Candiotti, TomTom Candiotti||14||8||3.28||31||31||0||216.2||86||79||53||137|
|Codiroli, ChrisChris Codiroli||0||4||9.31||14||2||1||19.1||22||20||10||12|
|Dedmon, JeffJeff Dedmon||1||0||4.54||21||0||1||33.2||20||17||21||17|
|Farrell, JohnJohn Farrell||14||10||4.24||31||30||0||210.1||106||99||67||92|
|Gordon, DonDon Gordon||3||4||4.40||38||0||1||59.1||33||29||19||20|
|Havens, BradBrad Havens||2||3||3.14||28||0||1||57.1||22||20||17||30|
|Jones, DougDoug Jones||3||4||2.27||51||0||37||83.1||26||21||16||72|
|Kaiser, JeffJeff Kaiser||0||0||0.00||3||0||0||2.2||0||0||1||0|
|Laskey, BillBill Laskey||1||0||5.18||17||0||1||24.1||16||14||6||17|
|Nichols, RodRod Nichols||1||7||5.06||11||10||0||69.1||41||39||23||31|
|Perlman, JonJon Perlman||0||2||5.49||10||0||0||19.2||12||12||11||10|
|Rodriguez, RickRick Rodriguez||1||2||7.09||10||5||0||33.0||28||26||17||9|
|Schatzeder, DanDan Schatzeder||0||2||9.56||15||0||3||16.0||19||17||2||10|
|Swindell, GregGreg Swindell||18||14||3.20||33||33||0||242.0||97||86||45||180|
|Walker, MikeMike Walker||0||1||7.27||3||1||0||8.2||7||7||10||7|
|Yett, RichRich Yett||9||6||4.62||23||22||0||134.1||72||69||55||71|
Awards and honors
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Kinston
- Miller, Scott (April 30, 2013). "Five managers with connections to 1988 Indians, an unbelievable story". CBSSports.com. Retrieved April 30, 2013.
- Rick Rodriguez at Baseball Reference
- John Moses at Baseball Reference
- Greg Harris at Baseball Reference
- Doug Piatt at Baseball Reference
- Dan Schatzeder at Baseball Reference
- Chris Codiroli at Baseball Reference
- Terry Francona at Baseball Reference
- Mark Huismann at Baseball Reference
- Willie Upshaw at Baseball Reference
- Dan Firova at Baseball Reference
- Houston Jiménez at Baseball Reference
- Bud Black at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 2007