1988 New York Yankees season
|1988 New York Yankees|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Lou Piniella, Bob Quinn|
|Manager(s)||Billy Martin, Lou Piniella|
(Phil Rizzuto, Bill White)
(Ken Harrelson, Bobby Murcer, Mickey Mantle)
|Local radio||WABC (AM)|
(Hank Greenwald, Tommy Hutton)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The New York Yankees' 1988 season was the 86th season for the Yankees. The team finished with a record of 85-76, finishing in fifth place, 3.5 games behind the Boston Red Sox. New York was managed by Lou Piniella and Billy Martin, with the latter managing the team for the fifth and final time. The Yankees played at Yankee Stadium.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 Awards and records
- 5 Farm system
- 6 References
- 7 External links
- November 2, 1987: Lenn Sakata was released by the New York Yankees.
- December 11, 1987: Darren Reed, Phil Lombardi, and Steve Frey were traded by the Yankees to the New York Mets for Rafael Santana and Victor Garcia (minors).
- December 18, 1987: Rich Bordi was released by the New York Yankees.
- December 22, 1987: Steve Trout and Henry Cotto were traded by the Yankees to the Seattle Mariners for Lee Guetterman, Clay Parker, and Wade Taylor.
- January 15, 1988: John Candelaria was signed as a free agent by the Yankees.
Opening Day starters
|Boston Red Sox||89||73||0.549||—||53–28||36–45|
|Toronto Blue Jays||87||75||0.537||2||45–36||42–39|
|New York Yankees||85||76||0.528||3½||46–34||39–42|
Record vs. opponents
1988 American League Records
Sources:              
- March 30, 1988: Orestes Destrade was traded by the Yankees to the Pittsburgh Pirates for Hipólito Peña.
- April 4, 1988: Rick Cerone was released by the Yankees.
- April 4, 1988: Jerry Royster was released by the New York Yankees.
- May 7, 1988: Chris Chambliss was signed as a free agent by the Yankees.
- May 10, 1988: Chris Chambliss was released by the Yankees.
- June 1, 1988: 1988 Major League Baseball Draft
- July 15, 1988: Luis Aguayo was traded by the Philadelphia Phillies to the New York Yankees for Amalio Carreno.
- July 21, 1988: Jay Buhner, Rich Balabon (minors), and a player to be named later were traded by the Yankees to the Seattle Mariners for Ken Phelps. The Yankees completed the deal by sending Troy Evers (minors) to the Mariners on October 12.
- August 30, 1988: Cecilio Guante was traded by the Yankees to the Texas Rangers for Dale Mohorcic.
|1988 New York Yankees|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = position; G = Games played; AB = At Bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting Average; HR = Home Runs; RBI = Runs Batted In
Awards and records
- Rickey Henderson, Yankees Single Season Record, Stolen Bases in a Season (93 in 1988)
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS: Albany-Colonie, Oneonta, GCL Yankees
- Rafael Santana page at Baseball Reference
- Steve Trout page at Baseball Reference
- John Candelaria page at Baseball Reference
- Hipólito Peña page at Baseball Reference
- Rick Cerone page at Baseball Reference
- Chris Chambliss page at Baseball Reference
- Andy Cook page at Baseball Reference
- Deion Sanders page at Baseball Reference
- "Luis Aguayo". Baseball Reference. Archived from the original on June 14, 2010. Retrieved June 21, 2010.
- Ken Phelps page at Baseball Reference
- Dale Mohorcic page at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 2nd and 3rd editions. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 1997 and 2007