||This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009)
Events in the year 1988 in the Republic of India.
- April – Security & Exchange Board of India established to deal with the development and regulation of the securities market and investor protection.
- The Discount and Finance House of India, set up as a money market institution, commenced operations.
- July – The National Housing Bank established as an apex body of housing finance and to promote activities in housing development.
- August – Stock Holding Corporation of India, a depository institution, commenced operations.
- 21 August – The 6.9 Mw Bihar earthquake shook northern Bihar near Nepal with a maximum Mercalli intensity of VIII (Severe), killing 709–1,450.
- October – Maximum lending rate abolished. Banks free to charge customers according to their credit record.
- The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission is set up under the Consumer Protection Act of 1986.
- Voting age reduced from 21 years to 18 years
Full date unknown