1989 US Open (tennis)
|1989 US Open|
|Date||August 28 – September 10|
|Category||Grand Slam (ITF)|
|Location||New York City, United States|
|John McEnroe / Mark Woodforde|
|Hana Mandlíková / Martina Navratilova|
|Robin White / Shelby Cannon|
|Wayne Ferreira / Grant Stafford|
|Jennifer Capriati / Meredith McGrath|
The 1989 US Open was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts at the USTA National Tennis Center in New York City in the United States. It was the 109th edition of the US Open and was held from August 28 to September 10, 1989.
- It was Becker's 4th career Grand Slam title and his only US Open title.
- It was Graf's 9th career Grand Slam title and her 2nd US Open title.
- It was McEnroe's 16th career Grand Slam title and his 8th and last US Open title. It was Woodforde's 1st career Grand Slam title and his 1st US Open title.
- It was Mandlíková's 5th and last career Grand Slam title and her 2nd US Open title. It was Navratilova's 52nd career Grand Slam title and her 14th US Open title.
- It was White's 2nd and last career Grand Slam title and her 2nd US Open title. It was Cannon's only career Grand Slam title.
Television coverage included eighty hours of programming over a 12-day period. Live coverage began on August 28, 1989, and concluded with the final of the Women's Doubles on September 10, 1989. The four final days of televised coverage consisted of four men's singles matches (two quarterfinals, one semifinal and the final), three women's singles matches (two semifinals and the final), one men's doubles match (the final), two women's doubles matches (a semifinal and the final) and one mixed doubles match (the final).
Notes and references
- Lendl played his 8th consecutive US Open men's singles final, an all-time record.
- O'Connor, John J. "US Open Tennis coverage". NY Times. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Gender Stereotyping in Televised sports". Amateur Athletic Foundation of Los Angeles. August 1990. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "US Open Television coverage".
1989 Wimbledon Championships
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by|
1990 Australian Open