1989 in India
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1989 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – R. Venkataraman
- Prime Minister of India – Rajiv Gandhi until 2 December, V. P. Singh
- Chief Justice of India –
- 14 February – Union Carbide agrees to pay USD $470 million to the Indian government for damages it caused in the 1984 Bhopal Disaster.
- March – Certificate of Deposit and Commercial Paper introduced to widen the monetary instruments and give investors greater flexibility.
- April – Amendment to Banking, Public Financial Institution and Negotiable Instruments Laws enacted to encourage the culture of use of cheques in India. It introduced penalties for the dishonour of cheques.
- Service Area Approach for rural lending became operational.
- 1 July – CRR raised to 15% taking statutory preemptions of banks' resources in the form of the Statutory Liquidity Ratio and the Cash Reserve Ratio to over 53%.
- 15 November – Sachin Tendulkar makes his debut in international cricket.
- 2 December – V.P. Singh becomes the Prime Minister of India after Lok Sabha elections.
- 8 December – 1989 kidnapping of Rubaiya Sayeed
- 2 September – Ishmeet Singh Sodhi, winner Amul STAR Voice of India in 2007 (died 2008).
- 2 April – Midhun Jith, Guinness World Record Breaker and World Kickboxing Champion
- 21 December – Tamanna Bhatia, actress.
- 1 March - Vasantdada Patil, Politician, Former Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Former Governer of Rajasthan (born 1917).
- Murad, actor (born 1904).
- Tarkeshwar Pandey, politician (born 1910).