1990 in Bangladesh
|See also:||Other events of 1990|
List of years in Bangladesh
1990 (MCMXC) was a common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar, the 1990th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 990th year of the 2nd millennium, the 90th year of the 20th century, and the 1st year of the 1990s decade.
The year 1990 was the 19th year after the independence of Bangladesh. It was also the last year under administration of caretaker government of Hussain Muhammad Ershad.
- President: Hussain Muhammad Ershad (until 6 December), Shahabuddin Ahmed (starting 6 December)
- Prime Minister: Kazi Zafar Ahmed (until 6 December)
- Chief Justice: Badrul Haider Chowdhury (until 1 January), Shahabuddin Ahmed (starting 14 January)
|Population density (per km2)||815.8|
|Population growth (annual %)||2.5%|
|Male to Female Ratio (every 100 Female)||104.5|
|Urban population (% of total)||19.8%|
|Birth rate, crude (per 1,000 people)||35.4|
|Death rate, crude (per 1,000 people)||10.3|
|Mortality rate, under 5 (per 1,000 live births)||143.8|
|Life expectancy at birth, total (years)||58.4|
|Fertility rate, total (births per woman)||4.5|
|Climate data for Bangladesh in 1990|
|Daily mean °C (°F)||19.5
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||1.8
|Source: Climatic Research Unit (CRU) of University of East Anglia (UEA)|
|Current US$||Current BDT||% of GDP|
|GDP||$31.6 billion||BDT1,039.6 billion|
|GDP growth (annual %)||5.6%|
|GDP per capita||$297.6||BDT9,790|
|Agriculture, value added||$10.1 billion||BDT331.4 billion||32.8%|
|Industry, value added||$6.4 billion||BDT209.4 billion||20.7%|
|Services, etc., value added||$14.3 billion||BDT471.0 billion||46.6%|
|Balance of Payment|
|Current US$||Current BDT||% of GDP|
|Current account balance||-$397.9 million||-1.3%|
|Imports of goods and services||$3,959.8 million||BDT135.8 billion||13.1%|
|Exports of goods and services||$2,064.0 million||BDT61.4 billion||5.9%|
|Foreign direct investment, net inflows||$3.2 million||0.0%|
|Personal remittances, received||$778.9 million||2.5%|
|Total reserves (includes gold) at year end||$659.6 million|
|Total reserves in months of imports||1.9|
Note: For the year 1990 average official exchange rate for BDT was 34.57 per US$.
- 10 October - Naziruddin Jehad, an activist of the pro-democracy movement of Bangladesh, was killed due to the police excesses during the first nationwide strike of the full-fledged movement against Hussain Muhammad Ershad, in front of Dainik Bangla intersection of capital Dhaka.
- 30 October - A series of attacks against the Bengali Hindus in Bangladesh ensued following a rumour that the Babri mosque in Ayodhya in India had been demolished.
- 19 November - BNP led 7-party alliance, Awami League led 8-party alliance and Leftist 5-party alliance drafted a "Joint Declaration of Three Alliance". This declaration provided a road-map outlining the process to handover the Presidency of Ershad to a civil government. The declaration included the idea of a caretaker government that will take over after the fall of Ershad and will hold a free and fair election within 90 days of its arrival to the power.
- 27 November - Censorship imposed on the newspapers enabling strict monitoring, newspaper owners and journalists decided not to publish newspapers from the very next day. Ershad declares state of emergency, curfew imposed.
- 4 December - The ongoing protests against the regime of H. M. Ershad turned into a mass uprising, when hundreds of thousands of people rallied in the streets of Dhaka practically bringing the capital of Bangladesh to a stand still.
- 6 December - President Hussain Muhammad Ershad is forced to resign; he is replaced by Shahabuddin Ahmed, who becomes interim president.
- Bangladesh passes the Narcotics Control Act of 1990.
- Asian Games:
- Commonwealth Games:
- Domestic football:
- 1 January – Rubel Hossain, cricketer
- 10 April – Jamal Bhuyan, footballer
- 19 June – Sahara, actor
- 17 August – Nabib Newaj Jibon, footballer
- 1 October – Salma Khatun, cricketer
- 15 January – Khoda Box, singer and composer (b. 1928)
- 23 July – Md Korban Ali, politician (b. 1924)
- 31 August – Mumtaz Ali Khan, musician (b. 1920)
- 31 December – Comrade Moni Singh, politician (b. 1901)
- "World Development Indicators". The World Bank. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "Climate Change Knowledge Portal". The World Bank Group. Retrieved 27 May 2018.
- "Jehad's family to file murder case after 20 years". The Daily Star. 10 October 2010.
- Rono, Haider Akbar Khan (2010). Śatābdī pēriẏē শতাব্দী পেরিয়ে (in Bengali). Taraphadara prakashani. p. 429. ISBN 984-779-027-2.
- "Drugs & Law in Bangladesh". Archived from the original on 2007-05-21. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- New Straits Times, September 24–29, 1990
- "Shooting 10m Air Pistol (Pair) - Men Auckland 1990". Commonwealth Games Foundation. Retrieved 2018-11-07.n
- "Shooting 50m Free Pistol (Pair) - Men Auckland 1990". Commonwealth Games Foundation. Retrieved 2018-11-07.n
- "List of Champions". Atsushi Fujioka for Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 2018-10-16.