1990 in architecture
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The year 1990 in architecture involved some significant events.
- Atatürk Dam in Turkey is completed
- Bank of China Tower, Hong Kong, designed by I. M. Pei, is completed and becomes the tallest building in the British Commonwealth (1990-1992).
- Messeturm in Frankfurt, is completed and becomes the tallest building in the European Union (1990-1997).
- U.S. Bank Tower in Los Angeles, designed by architectural firm Pei Cobb Freed & Partners, is completed.
- Two Prudential Plaza in Chicago is completed.
- Scripps Center in Cincinnati is completed.
- Basilica of Our Lady of Peace of Yamoussoukro in Ivory Coast, designed by Pierre Fakhoury, is consecrated as one of the world's largest churches.
- The Round Building at Hathersage in the Peak District of England, for David Mellor (cutler), designed by Michael Hopkins, is built.
- Construction of the Washington National Cathedral is completed.
- Caruso St John architectural practice established in the U.K. by Adam Caruso and Peter St John.
- American Academy of Arts and Letters Gold Medal – Kevin Roche.
- AIA Gold Medal - E. Fay Jones.
- Architecture Firm Award - Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates.
- European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture (Mies van der Rohe Prize) – Sir Norman Foster for New Stansted Airport Terminal, London.
- Grand Prix de l'urbanisme - Jean-François Revert.
- Grand Prix national de l'architecture - Francis Soler.
- Praemium Imperiale Architecture Laureate – James Stirling.
- Pritzker Prize - Aldo Rossi.
- RAIA Gold Medal - Peter McIntyre.
- Royal Gold Medal - Aldo van Eyck.
- Twenty-five Year Award - Gateway Arch.
- UIA Gold Medal – Charles Correa.
- April 20 - Arnold Alas, Estonian soldier and architect (born 1911)
- August 6 - Gordon Bunshaft, American architect (born 1909)
- June 19 - Steen Eiler Rasmussen, Danish architect (born 1898)
- December 24 - Judith Ledeboer, Dutch-born English architect (born 1901)
- December 31 - Giovanni Michelucci, Italian architect (born 1891)
- "The Round Building". David Mellor. Retrieved 2012-10-16.