1990 in the Philippines
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1990 in the Philippines details events of note that happened in the Philippines in the year 1990.
- President: Corazon Aquino (PDP-Laban)
- Vice President: Salvador Laurel (UNIDO)
- Senate President: Jovito Salonga
- House Speaker: Ramon Mitra, Jr.
- Chief Justice: Marcelo Fernan
- Philippine Congress: 8th Congress of the Philippines
- February 12 – General elections are held for the first time in the newly created Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao for the Regional Governor and Vice-Governor.
- March 4 – Hotel Delfino in Tuguegarao, Cagayan was seized by suspended Governor Rodolfo Aguinaldo and his armed men of 200. The siege was immediately followed by a gunfight, killing Brigader General Oscar Florendo, his driver and four members of the civilian staff and several guests, and 10 more wounded. Aguinaldo was escaped in the mountains after a shootout in a military checkpoint.
- April 25 – Two U.P. Students, Ernesto "Cochise" Bernabe II and his girlfriend Anna Lourders "Beebom" Castanos were abducted and killed in Pampanga. (which their decomposing bodies were found on June 25–26)
- May 13 – Gunmen kill two United States Air Force airmen near Clark Air Base on the eve of talks between the Philippines and the United States over the future of American military bases in the Philippines.
- July 16 – The Luzon earthquake struck with a 7.8 Ms. The earthquake caused damage within an area of about 20,000 square kilometers, stretching from the mountains of the Cordillera Administrative Region and through the Central Luzon region.
- October 4–6 – Forces loyal to Col. Alexander Noble declared the independence of Mindanao in October 4 and seized two military garrisons in Cagayan de Oro and Butuan. Noble forces were compromised by government forces and later turned himself in to the government in October 6.
- November 12 – Typhoon Ruping slammed Visayas and affected Cebu City, Bacolod City, and other key cities in the Visayas.
- September 22–October 7 – The Philippines participated in the 1990 Asian Games held in Beijing, China and ranked 13th with 1 gold medal, 2 silver medals and 7 bronze medals with an overall total of 10 medals.
- January 8 – Melissa Ricks, actress
- January 10 – Carla Jenina Lizardo, beauty queen and courtside reporter
- January 14 – Mikee Lee, actor, model and host
- February 7 – Neil Etheridge, football player
- February 12 – Joana Houplin, football player
- February 15 – Patrick Deyto, football player
- February 17
- February 27 – Megan Young, U.S.-born Filipina actress and Miss World 2013
- March 8 – Nico Salva, basketball player
- March 24 – Aljur Abrenica, actor 
- April 3 – Nico Ibaviosa, actor
- April 19
- May 4 – Andrea Torres, TV/film actress and commercial model
- May 9 – Maxine Medina, designer, model, beauty pageant titleholder, actress and TV host
- May 31 – Justine Peña, host of O Shopping, commercial model and actress
- June 10 – Valeen Montenegro, actress
- June 19 – Jason Dy, singer
- June 25 – Andi Eigenmann, actress 
- July 5 – Arron Villaflor, actor and model
- July 13 – Chino Tan, actor and model
- July 20 – Dominic Roque, actor and model
- July 28 – Nikkō Calderón, pharmacist
- August 10 – Gwen Zamora, Filipina actress
- August 19 – Debbie Gracia, actress and commercial model
- August 29 - Rizzini Alexis Gomez, 2012 Miss Tourism International titleholder (d. 2015)
- September 1 – Arianne Bautista, actress
- September 16 – Nar Cabico, singer
- September 20 – Erich Gonzales, actress
- September 21 – Ivan Dorschner, actor
- September 27 – Charee Pineda, Filipino-American actress
- September 29 – Gerphil Flores, classical singer
- October 3 – Rhian Ramos, actress 
- October 11 – Jericho Cruz, Filipino basketball player of UAAP and PBA
- November 9 – Robin Roño, basketball player
- November 16 – Arjo Atayde, actor
- November 20 – Rodney Brondial, basketball player
- November 21 – Ejay Falcon, 2008 Pinoy Big Brother winner, actor and model
- December 30 – Rizza Diaz, courtside reporter
- February 7 – Alfredo M. Santos, Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (1962–65) (b. 1905)
- May 12 – Anastacio Caedo, Filipino sculptor (b. 1907)
- December 20 – Lauro Mumar, Olympic basketball player (b. 1924)
- "Aljur Abrenica". Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Kim Chiu shrugs off Internet photos of Simon Atkins kissing Sam Pinto". Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Andi Eigenmann". Retrieved 2012-02-22.
- "Rhian Ramos at the Internet Movie Database". Retrieved 2012-02-22.