From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Bonk's Adventure is released for NEC's TurboGrafx-16 and is the first US appearance of Bonk, the mascot of the TurboGrafx-16.
- Namco releases Kyuukai Douchuuki, World Stadium '90, Final Lap 2, Pistol Daimyo no Bouken, which is a spin-off from Berabow Man, Souko Ban Deluxe, Dragon Saber, Rolling Thunder 2, Steel Gunner and Golly! Ghost! They also develop the unreleased prototype, Puzzle Club.
- February 12, Nintendo releases the NES game Super Mario Bros. 3 in North America. It sells 17.28 million copies, making it one of the best-selling stand-alone video games of all time.
- April, Konami releases Snake's Revenge, a sequel to Metal Gear for the Nintendo Entertainment System in North America, developed without the involvement of Hideo Kojima.
- June 1, Origin releases Ultima VI: The False Prophet and the first Wing Commander game.
- July 12, Nintendo of America publishes Final Fantasy for the Nintendo Entertainment System in North America. This game started Square's popular and long-running Final Fantasy series.
- July 20, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake for the MSX2 computer, is released exclusively in Japan. It's Konami 's last major game for the hardware.
- July 27, Nintendo releases Dr. Mario for 3 Nintendo platforms.
- September 28 Capcom releases Mega Man 3 for NES, introducing the characters Rush and Proto Man, Mega Man's slide is introduced, and Capcom's character cameos.
- November 9, Sierra On-Line releases King's Quest V.
- October 15 LucasArts releases The Secret of Monkey Island
- November 21, Nintendo releases Super Mario World and F-Zero in Japan as launch titles for the Super Famicom. Super Mario World introduced the character, Yoshi and F-Zero introduced the character, Captain Falcon.
- December 14, Commander Keen is released as shareware, the first major platformer on a PC.
- Sega releases the G-LOC: Air Battle R-360 arcade game, featuring the first 3D - 360° gameplay that physically rotated the real world player.
- Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon, the first of the "Tycoon" games, is released by MicroProse.
- Infogrames releases Alpha Waves, the first 3D platform game.
- Mindscape publishes Captive.