1991 World Figure Skating Championships
|1991 World Figure Skating Championships|
|Date:||March 12 – 17|
|Men's singles: |
|Ladies' singles: |
|Pair skating: |
Natalia Mishkutenok / Artur Dmitriev
|Ice dance: |
Isabelle Duchesnay / Paul Duchesnay
1990 World Championships
1992 World Championships
|Men||Kurt Browning||Viktor Petrenko||Todd Eldredge|
|Ladies||Kristi Yamaguchi||Tonya Harding||Nancy Kerrigan|
|Pair skating||Natalia Mishkutenok / Artur Dmitriev||Isabelle Brasseur / Lloyd Eisler||Natasha Kuchiki / Todd Sand|
|Ice dancing||Isabelle Duchesnay / Paul Duchesnay||Marina Klimova / Sergei Ponomarenko||Maya Usova / Alexander Zhulin|
Medals by country
|1||Soviet Union (URS)||1||2||1||4|
|2||United States (USA)||1||1||3||5|
|Totals (4 nations)||4||4||4||12|
Kurt Browning won his third world championship in a row. Elvis Stojko (CAN) lands the first quad in combination, the first quadruple toe loop-double toe loop combination, at the World Championships.
The U.S. became the first nation to ever sweep the ladies' podium at a World Championships.
Midori Ito and Laetitia Hubert collided with each other during a practice session. In the short program, Ito stumbled over an opening in the boards and into a camera but was back on the ice after three seconds. Tonya Harding became the first American woman to perform a triple axel at an international event.
The judges voted two couples (from Czechoslovakia and Poland) exactly the same (each 12 placings in compulsory dance 2).
- Janofsky, Michael (March 15, 1991). "FIGURE SKATING; Browning's Triple Jumps Lead to 3d Title in Row". The New York Times.
- Janofsky, Michael (March 17, 1991). "Figure Skating; Skating Sweep for the U.S. Women". The New York Times.
- Janofsky, Michael (March 14, 1991). "FIGURE SKATING; Brilliant Victory for Soviet Pair and Surprising 3d for U.S". The New York Times.
- Mallozzi, Vincent M. (December 29, 1991). "THE YEAR IN REVIEW; Winners of 1991 Individual and Team Championships". The New York Times.
- USA Today quad timeline
- "FIGURE SKATING / WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS : Soviets Win, U.S. Pair Third". Los Angeles Times. March 14, 1991.
- "Ice Queens". CNN. March 25, 1991.
- Janofsky, Michael (March 16, 1991). "Ito Survives Hard Knocks and Gains 3d Place". The New York Times.
- "World Figure Skating Championships Results: Men" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-05. (9.95 KB)
- "World Figure Skating Championships Results: Ladies" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-06-03. (14.2 KB)
- "World Figure Skating Championships Results: Pairs" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-05. (19.4 KB)
- "World Figure Skating Championships Results: Dance" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-03-25. Retrieved 2009-09-25. (15.5 KB)