1991 in art
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- 14 April – In the Netherlands, thieves steal 20 paintings worth $500 million from the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. Less than an hour later they are found in an abandoned car near the museum..
- 25 May – Opening of the Irish Museum of Modern Art in Dublin.
- 9 July – The Sainsbury Wing of the National Gallery in London, designed by Robert Venturi and Denise Scott, is opened.
- September – Opening of the Weserburg modern art museum in Bremen (Germany) as the Neues Museum Weserburg Bremen.
- May – First performance of Candoco Dance Company
See also: Category:1991 sculptures
- Las niñas en la alborada – Félix Arauz
- Chain Reaction (sculpture in Santa Monica, California) – Paul Conrad
- The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living – Damien Hirst
- Isolated Elements Swimming in the Same Direction for the Purposes of Understanding – Damien Hirst
- Self – Marc Quinn
- Field (sculpture) – Antony Gormley
- Cold Dark Matter: An Exploded View (installation) – Cornelia Parker
January to June
- 3 January – Doris Zinkeisen, British theatrical designer and commercial artist (b. 1898).
- 7 February – Jean-Paul Mousseau, Canadian artist (b. 1927).
- 13 February – Arno Breker, German sculptor (b. 1900).
- 15 March – Vladimir Seleznev, Russian painter (b. 1928).
- 29 March – Guy Bourdin, French photographer (b. 1928).
- 10 June – Jean Bruller, French writer and illustrator (b. 1902).
July to December
- 16 July – Robert Motherwell, American abstract expressionist painter and printmaker (b. 1915).
- 3 August – Boris Ugarov, Russian painter, a last President of the Academy of Arts of the USSR (b. 1922).
- 30 August – Jean Tinguely, Swiss painter and sculptor (b. 1925).
- 5 September - Alexander Pushnin, Russian painter and art educator (b. 1921).
- 14 September – Russell Lynes, American art historian, photographer and author (b. 1910).
- 24 September – Dr. Seuss, American illustrator (b. 1904).
- 27 October – Pyke Koch, Dutch painter (b. 1901).
- 7 November – Tom of Finland, Finnish fetish artist (b. 1920).
- 11 November – Nadezhda Shteinmiller, Russian painter and theater artist (b. 1915).
- 18 November – Reg Parlett, English comics artist (b. 1904).
- 21 November – Joseph Delaney, American painter (b. 1904).
- 9 December – Gisèle Lestrange, French graphic artist (b. 1927).
- 10 December – Greta Kempton, Austrian-American artist (b. 1901).
- 12 December - Moshe Castel, Israeli painter (b. 1909).
- Paul L. Montgomery, "Lost and Found: Huge van Gogh Theft Fails", New York Times, 1991. Retrieved on 2012-01-31.
- National Gallery official website
- False Impressions: The Hunt for Big-Time Art Fakes, Thomas Hoving, Simon & Schuster, 1996 ISBN 0-684-83148-1
- Cartrain. "Cartrain In The National Portrait Gallery". YouTube. Retrieved 2009-09-20.