1992 (TV series)
This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Created by||Stefano Accorsi |
|Country of origin||Italy|
|No. of seasons||1-in production|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Executive producer(s)||Mario Gianani |
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Wildside - Sky Italia - BETA|
|Original network||Sky Atlantic|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Audio format||5.1-channel surround sound|
|Original release||March 24, 2015|
1992 is an Italian political drama television series created by Alessandro Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi, Stefano Sardo and based on an idea by Stefano Accorsi. The first season, comprising ten episodes, premiered on March 24, 2015, on pay-tv Sky Italia channels Sky Atlantic and Sky Cinema 1.
Set in Rome, Milan and different Italian cities, the TV series offers a thrilling story following six people whose lives are intertwined with the rapidly changing political landscape in the early 1990s, during which Italy was gripped by the Clean Hands investigation into political corruption. Subsequently, this led to the end of the "First Republic" as well as the termination of several Italian political parties, who created the Italian democratic system after WWII. This controversial period in Italy resulted in the suicide of various political figures.
The series was followed by 1993.
Season 1 (2015)
In 1992, prosecutors in Milan launch the mani pulite investigation into political corruption in Italy. Leonardo Notte (Stefano Accorsi), a slick, self-serving advertising man who believes only in himself, schemes to profit from the unraveling scandal. Caught up in the investigation is Michele Mainaghi (Tommaso Ragno), a Milanese pharmaceutical magnate whose firm sold tainted blood that infected young police officer Luca Pastore (Domenico Diele) with HIV. Pastore, part of Antonio di Pietro's investigative team, seeks revenge and teams up with Rocco Venturi (Alessandro Roja), another cop with a dark side. Meanwhile, Mainaghi's mistress, Veronica Castello (Miriam Leone), seeks out a career in television and returns to Notte after Mainaghi is disgraced. Upstanding Gulf War veteran Pietro Bosco (Guido Caprino) leaps into a fight and saves the life of a man who turns out to be one of the leaders of the new party Lega Nord, quickly finding himself one of the party's parliamentary candidates. Veronica, initially intending to use him boost her TV career, instead falls in love with him; the two begin planning a life together. However, Pietro finds that he has to betray his friends and convictions if he wants to continue his political career and, most of all, build a family with Veronica.
Series 1 (2015)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||1||"Episode 1"||Giuseppe Gagliardi||Alessando Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi & Stefano Sardo||March 24, 2015|
|Politician Mario Chiesa’s arrest ignites a nationwide scandal: Italy’s Tangentopoli. As the political fallout spreads across the country, we follow the intertwining lives and ambitions of six main characters.|
|2||2||"Episode 2"||Giuseppe Gagliardi||Alessando Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi & Stefano Sardo||March 24, 2015|
|Showgirl Veronica’s tv career is on the verge of a major breakthrough, but the Tangentopoli affair seems to stop her in her track. Pietro, a Gulf war veteran, takes on the challenge of politics.|
|3||3||"Episode 3"||Giuseppe Gagliardi||Alessando Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi & Stefano Sardo||March 31, 2015|
|Luca, a policeman, obtains the revenge he is seeking, but justice is another matter. Advertising man Leo finds himself under the threat of blackmail: someone has dug out some murky truth about his past.|
|4||4||"Episode 4"||Giuseppe Gagliardi||Alessando Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi & Stefano Sardo||March 31, 2015|
|A new chance comes up for Veronica: her dreams again seem within reach. Bibi is confronted with a responsibility she had so far managed to elude.|
|5||5||"Episode 5"||Giuseppe Gagliardi||Alessando Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi & Stefano Sardo||April 7, 2015|
|All main characters are faced with a major reboot in their lives: some have to take a step back to get started anew, whereas others suddenly get more than they had even dared to hope for.|
|6||6||"Episode 6"||Giuseppe Gagliardi||Alessando Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi & Stefano Sardo||April 7, 2015|
|Luca gets close to Bibi’s projects for the powerful Mainaghi holding company. Leo undertakes a risky rise to power. In the background, the country is shaken by a new, devastating Mafia attack.|
|7||7||"Episode 7"||Giuseppe Gagliardi||Alessando Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi & Stefano Sardo||April 14, 2015|
|In apparent summer calm, the old political establishment is hard at work on a major counterattack. Meanwhile, the main characters have to face the uneasy consequences of their ambitions.|
|8||8||"Episode 8"||Giuseppe Gagliardi||Alessando Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi & Stefano Sardo||April 14, 2015|
|As prosecutor Di Pietro finds out, a spy hides within his Mani Pulite ("Clean Hands") investigation team. Leo is close to fulfilling his political hopes and dreams, but he undergoes a crisis of faith.|
|9||9||"Episode 9"||Giuseppe Gagliardi||Alessando Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi & Stefano Sardo||April 21, 2015|
|Luca is ready to put everything at risk to get his revenge: his position within the Mani Pulite ("Clean Hands") task force is compromised. Pietro has to renege on his own self to save his relationship with Veronica.|
|10||10||"Episode 10"||Giuseppe Gagliardi||Alessando Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi & Stefano Sardo||April 21, 2015|
|Di Pietro and the Mani Pulite team involve Prime minister Bettino Craxi as a prime suspect in their investigation. Our six main characters are confronted with extreme choices. It all builds up to a final judgement day: he who is willing to pay the most terrible price will win.|
Main cast and characters
- Stefano Accorsi as Leonardo Notte, a marketing man with a murky past, coming back to haunt him just as 1992’s events seem to bring about the professional chance of a lifetime. Anonymous blackmail forces Leo to confront a morbid episode in his past that he had surgically removed from his memory. His glitzy, no-strings-attached lifestyle is turned upside down by the appearance of Viola, his hitherto unknown teenage daughter. As Leo tries to free himself from the shadows of the past, he stumbles into a revolutionary idea that could shape the future of his trade - and his own.
- Guido Caprino as Pietro Bosco, a 33-year-old veteran of the Gulf war, finds himself elected in the Italian parliament, with the rising Lega Nord party. A gregarious rugby lover and beer drinker, he turns out to be the ultimate fish out of water in the political sphere. His only chances lie in finding the right mentor; thus, Pietro will put his career in the hands of a seasoned politician who will show him the ropes - certainly, at a price.
- Domenico Diele as Luca Pastore, a judicial police officer, works side by side with maverick prosecutor Antonio Di Pietro. Motivated by a personal quest for revenge, he is hard at work to solve the Tangentopoli conundrum. Investigations, arrests, interrogations. Under pressure and under menace. Because strong headwinds are blowing, and not just from outside the prosecutors’ offices.
- Tea Falco as Beatrice "Bibi" Mainaghi. Daughter of the aforementioned tycoon, is the black sheep in a power dynasty, but her life will take a new, radically unexpected turn in the wake of Tangentopoli.
- Miriam Leone as Veronica Castello, a showgirl on the fast track to fame. She needs it, physically, and is out to get it at all costs: the unconditional love of a prime time audience is the only viable conduit for her self-esteem. As the lover she has picked, powerful tycoon Michele Mainaghi, goes under in the investigations, Veronica briefly finds herself at a loss, then starts the search for a new, powerful pigmalione t position in the pecking order of the new powers that be.
- Alessandro Roja as Rocco Venturi, a young Roman police officer, also joining Antonio Di Pietro’s team of investigators. A sly look and his trademark fast talk would seem to put him as a natural leader in that team, but he will turn out to hide a totally different truth behind his gung-ho mask.
- Irene Casagrande as Viola Notte
- Teco Celio as Gianni Bortolotti
- Fabrizio Contri as Marcello Dell'Utri
- Antonio Gerardi as Antonio Di Pietro
- Gianfelice Imparato as Gaetano Nobile
- Bebo Storti as Enrico Lodato
- Elena Radonicich as Giulia Castello
- Tommaso Ragno as Michele Mainaghi
on Sky Italia TV
|2015||1||March 24, 2015||9.10 PM||1||723,000|
|March 31, 2015||9.10 PM||3||545,000|
|April 7, 2015||9.10 PM||5|
|April 14, 2015||9.10 PM||7|
|April 21, 2015||9.10 PM||9|
As of March 24, 2015 1992 was also being broadcast in Austria, United Kingdom, Germany and Ireland. The TV series will be distributed in France, Spain and Scandinavia coming soon. In May 2016 the Belgian channel Canvas (VRT) broadcast the series. 
Awards and nominations
Soundtracks Season 1
|Above the clouds||Paul Weller|
|All that she wants||Ace of Base|
|Found love||Double Dee|
|Gypsy woman||Crystal Waters|
|I nearly lost you||Screaming Trees|
|Movin' on up||Primal Scream|
|Non amarmi||Aleandro Baldi feat. Francesca Alotta|
|Please don't go||Double You|
|Set adrift on memory bliss||PM Dawn|
|Taillights fade||Buffalo Tom|
|The concept||Teenage Fanclub|
|(Trhu) The gates of the big fruit||Urban Dance Squad|
|Waiting for the miracle||Leonard Cohen|
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2015)
- "'1992' receives warm welcome". Nordic Noir. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- Mark Jones; Jonathan Wright; John Robinson; Graeme Virtue; Hannah J Davies; Andrew Mueller. "Tuesday's best TV". The Guardian. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- Peter White. "Sky Arts acquires Italian political thriller". Broadcast Now. Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- Davide Maggio. "Ascolti satellite di martedì 24 marzo 2015: 1992 parte con 670.000 spettatori". davidemaggio.it. Retrieved March 25, 2015.
- Androkronos Maggio. "Tv: '1992' si conferma al top degli ascolti Sky, con nuovo record permanenza". androkronos.com. Retrieved March 31, 2015.
- Andrea Scrosati. "Stasera la prima di #1992LaSerie. Da domani in onda in italia su @SkyAtlanticHD e in uk, ger e a breve francia, spagna, scandinavia". Twitter. Retrieved March 24, 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-05-08. Retrieved 2016-05-15.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)