1992 Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Tournament
|1992 Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Tournament|
|Format||Nine-team double elimination|
|Champions||NC State (4th title)|
|Winning coach||Ray Tanner (1st title)|
|MVP||Matt Donahue (NC State)|
|1992 Atlantic Coast Conference baseball standings|
|#10 Clemson †y||19||–||5||.792||50||–||14||.781|
|#5 Florida State y||16||–||7||.696||49||–||21||.700|
|#29 NC State ‡y||15||–||9||.625||46||–||18||.719|
|#24 Georgia Tech y||14||–||9||.609||45||–||19||.703|
|† – Conference champion
‡ – Tournament champion
y – Invited to the NCAA Tournament
As of June 30, 1992; Rankings from Collegiate Baseball
The 1992 Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Tournament was the 1992 postseason baseball championship of the NCAA Division I Atlantic Coast Conference, held at Greenville Municipal Stadium in Greenville, South Carolina from May 9-13. NC State defeated Clemson in the championship game, earning the conference's automatic bid to the 1992 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament.
All nine teams qualified for the conference tournament, with several byes allowing for a nine-team double-elimination tournament.
On Saturday (The Semifinals) of the ACC Baseball Tournament, the match-up between the four remaining teams is determined by previous opponents. If teams have played previously in the tournament, every attempt will be made to avoid a repeat match-up between teams, regardless of seed. If it is impossible to avoid a match-up that already occurred, then the determination is based on avoiding the most recent, current tournament match-up, regardless of seed. If no match-ups have occurred, the team left in the winners bracket will play the lowest seeded team from the losers bracket.
Regular season results
Winner & Loser Bracket Games
|Round 1 Match-Up|
|Round 2 Loser's Bracket Match-Up|
|1st/2nd Round||2nd/3rd Round||3rd/4th Round|
|6||Wake Forest||3||2||Florida State||7|
|4||Georgia Tech||4||3||NC State||7|
To clarify the brackets above, the match-ups (by round) to the reordered semifinals were as follows:
- 1st Round: Clemson vs. Virginia, Duke vs. Wake Forest, Florida State - bye, NC State vs. Maryland, Georgia Tech v. North Carolina
- 2nd Round (winner's): Clemson - bye, Florida State v. Wake Forest, NC State v. Georgia Tech
- 2nd Round (loser's): Virginia vs. Duke, Maryland vs. North Carolina
- 3rd Round (winner's): Clemson vs. Florida State, NC State - bye
- 3rd Round (loser's): Georgia Tech vs. Duke, Wake Forest vs. North Carolina
- 4th Round (winner's): NC State vs. Clemson
- 4th Round (loser's): Georgia Tech - bye, North Carolina vs. Florida State
|C||Jason Varitek||Georgia Tech|
|1B||Vinny Hughes||NC State|
|SS||Sean Drinkwater||NC State|
|3B||Paul Borawski||NC State|
|OF||Jay Payton||Georgia Tech|
|DH||Chris Roberts||Florida State|
|SP||Matt Donahue||NC State|
|MVP||Matt Donahue||NC State|
- College World Series
- NCAA Division I Baseball Championship
- Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Tournament
- "College Baseball Conference Standings -- 1992". Boyd's World. Retrieved January 9, 2015.
- "2012 ACC Baseball Guide". TheACC.com. Archived from the original on 30 May 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "College Baseball Conference Standings -- 1992". BoydsWorld.com. Archived from the original on 30 May 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2012.