1992 in India
|See also:||List of years in India
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1992 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – R. Venkataraman until 25 July, Shankar Dayal Sharma
- Prime Minister of India – P. V. Narasimha Rao
- 1 February – Chief Judicial Magistrate of Bhopal Court declares Warren Anderson, ex-CEO of Union Carbide, a fugitive under Indian law for failing to appear in the Bhopal disaster case, and orders the Indian government to press for an extradition from the United States.
- May – Over 200 people die in Cuttack in Odisha, after drinking illegally brewed liquor. About 600 people were hospitalised (see: 1992 Odisha liquor deaths).
- 14 August Veerappan Gang Trapped and killed Mysore District SP, T.Harikrishna, SI Shakeel Ahmed and four constables named Benegonda, C.M.Kalappa, Sundara and M.P.Appachu, through a false informant near Meenyam in Karnataka
- 2 October – Zee Television, a Hindi language satellite and cable television station, a first officially regular broadcasting service to start in Mumbai.
- 6 December – Workers of the Vishva Hindu Parishad (VHP, World Hindu Council) tear down a 16th-century mosque located in Ayodhya, in Northern India. The mosque is believed to have been built over a shrine which exhorted the small piece of land as Ram Janmabhoomi – the birthplace of Lord Rama. This sparks off nationwide communal riots in which some 3,000 people die.
- Government of India establishes SEBI, stock exchange regulator.
- Indian Rupee exchange rate collapsed. It was 20 Rs to 1 dollar in January 1992 and it became 30 Rs to 1 dollar in December 1992. A huge 50% depreciation in value.
- 5 January – Sanjay Balmuchu, footballer
- 27 February – Abigail Jain, actress
- 1 March – Alwyn George, footballer
- 4 July – Yuki Bhambri, tennis player
- 30 July – Vishal Kumar, football player
- 15 September – Shilton D'Silva, soccer player
- 24 December – Soram Anganba, footballer
- 31 December – Manu Attri, badminton player
Full date unknown
- Baskaran Adhiban, chess Grandmaster
- 27 January – Bharat Bhushan, actor (born 1920).
- 23 April – Satyajit Ray, filmmaker (born 1921).
- 17 July – Kanan Devi, actress and singer (born 1916).
- 27 July – Amjad Khan, actor and director (born 1940).
- 3 November – Prem Nath, actor (born 1926).
Full date unknown
- V. K. Gokak, writer and scholar (born 1909).
- Zee TV Retrieved January 14, 2017.
- "Interactive graph: Indian rupee vs US dollar since 1990". Ibnlive.in.com. 2012-05-24. Retrieved 2013-07-31.