1993 Rose Bowl
|1993 Rose Bowl|
|79th Rose Bowl Game|
|Date||January 1, 1993|
|MVP||Tyrone Wheatley (Michigan RB)|
|Favorite||Washington by 2 points |
|United States TV coverage|
The 1993 Rose Bowl was a college football bowl game played on January 1, 1993, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. It was the 79th Rose Bowl; the #7 Michigan Wolverines, champions of the Big Ten, defeated the ninth-ranked Washington Huskies, champions of the Pac-10, 38–31. Michigan running back Tyrone Wheatley was named the Rose Bowl Player of the Game.
The game, one of the great contests in Rose Bowl history, was back and forth, with six lead changes. Michigan scored the final two touchdowns to win by seven points, avenging the previous year's loss and foiling the Huskies' attempt at a third straight Rose Bowl title. MVP Tyrone Wheatley scored three touchdowns and rushed for 235 yards on just 15 carries (15.7 avg.)
Michigan finished the season undefeated (with three ties) at 9–0–3, ranked #5 in the final polls. Washington (9–3) was ranked #1 in early November, but lost three of its final four games to finish at #11 (AP) and #10 (Coaches) in the national rankings.
- Mich. - Peter Elezovic, 41-yard field goal - 7:11 - Mich. 3–0
- Wash. - Darius Turner, 1-yard run (Travis Hanson kick) - 3:58 - Wash. 7–3
- Mich. - Tony McGee, 49-yard pass from Elvis Grbac (Elezovic kick) - 2:07 - Mich. 10–7
- Mich. - Tyrone Wheatley, 56-yard run (Elezovic kick) - 11:12 - Mich. 17–7
- Wash. - Jason Shelley, 64-yard pass from Mark Brunell (Hanson kick) - 9:20 - Mich. 17–14
- Wash. - Mark Bruener, 18-yard pass from Brunell (Hanson kick) - 3:14 - Wash. 21–17
- Mich. - Wheatley, 88-yard run (Elezovic kick) - 14:44 - Mich. 24–21
- Wash. - Napoleon Kaufman, 1-yard run (Hanson kick) - 12:12 - Wash. 28–24
- Wash. - Hanson, 44-yard field goal - 8:42 - Wash. 31–24
- Mich. - Wheatley, 24-yard run (Elezovic kick) - 1:48 - tied 31–31
- Mich. - McGee, 15-yard pass from Grbac (Elezovic kick) - 5:29 - Mich. 38–31
- "The Latest Line". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). January 1, 1993. p. 7B.
- Bonk, Thomas (January 2, 1993). "Wheatley conducts 1-man Rose parade past Huskies". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). (Los Angeles Times). p. 1D.
- "Michigan stops Huskies". Reading Eagle. (Pennsylvania). Associated Press. January 2, 1993. p. D3.
- Blanchette, John (January 2, 1993). "Michigan nips 3-peat in the bud". Spokesman-Review. (Spokane, Washington). p. D1.
- 2008 Rose Bowl Program Archived 2008-03-06 at the Wayback Machine., 1992 Rose Bowl. Accessed January 26, 2008.