1993 South African Grand Prix
|1993 South African Grand Prix|
|Race 1 of 16 in the 1993 Formula One World Championship|
|Date||14 March 1993|
|Official name||Panasonic South African Grand Prix|
Midrand, Transvaal Province, South Africa
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||4.261 km (2.658 mi)|
|Distance||72 laps, 306.792 km (191.386 mi)|
|Weather||Very hot and humid, with torrential thunderstorms. Air temp: 33 °C (91 °F)|
|Time||1:19.492 on lap 40|
The 1993 South African Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at Kyalami on 14 March 1993. The race, contested over 72 laps, was the first race of the 1993 FIA Formula One World Championship and was won from pole position by Alain Prost, driving a Williams-Renault, with Ayrton Senna second in a McLaren-Ford and Mark Blundell third in a Ligier-Renault.
This was the 33rd South African Grand Prix and, as of 2017, the most recent.
The Swiss Sauber team made their Grand Prix debut.
The season started off in Kyalami where Prost, in his first race with Williams, took pole ahead of Senna, Schumacher, Hill, Alesi and Lehto, impressing in Sauber's first Grand Prix. At the start, Prost was poor and Senna and Hill (who was already ahead of Schumacher) got ahead of him. Then, Hill spun in front of Prost and dropped well down the field, Prost being forced to back off and let Schumacher through to second. Senna led Schumacher, Prost, Lehto, Wendlinger and Alesi at the end of lap one.
Prost attacked Schumacher, took second on lap 13 and set off after Senna. Five laps later, he attacked into the first corner but Senna took the inside and defended. However, Senna could not do anything when Prost attacked on lap 25 with the inside line. He took the lead and motored off. Schumacher also passed Senna to take second soon after. Both of them pitted unlike Prost, but Senna was quicker and rejoined ahead.
Schumacher was in no mood to stay third and attacked Senna on lap 40. There was minor contact and Schumacher spun off into retirement. Patrese was third but he too spun off on lap 47 just as Christian Fittipaldi passed Lehto. Prost won from Senna, Blundell, Fittipaldi, Lehto and Berger (he was out but was classified sixth).
|23||4||Andrea de Cesaris||Tyrrell-Yamaha||1:20.721||1:20.660||+4.964|
|2||8||Ayrton Senna||McLaren-Ford||72||+ 1:19.824||2||6|
|3||26||Mark Blundell||Ligier-Renault||71||+ 1 Lap||8||4|
|4||23||Christian Fittipaldi||Minardi-Ford||71||+ 1 Lap||13||3|
|5||30||JJ Lehto||Sauber||70||+ 2 Laps||6||2|
|7||9||Derek Warwick||Footwork-Mugen-Honda||69||Spun Off||22|
|Ret||25||Martin Brundle||Ligier-Renault||57||Spun Off||12|
|Ret||6||Riccardo Patrese||Benetton-Ford||46||Spun Off||7|
|Ret||5||Michael Schumacher||Benetton-Ford||39||Spun Off||3|
|Ret||12||Johnny Herbert||Lotus-Ford||38||Fuel System||17|
|Ret||19||Philippe Alliot||Larrousse-Lamborghini||27||Spun Off||11|
|Ret||15||Ivan Capelli||Jordan-Hart||2||Spun Off||18|
|Ret||4||Andrea de Cesaris||Tyrrell-Yamaha||0||Transmission||23|
- JJ Lehto scored points for the Sauber team on their debut, Mark Blundell scored his first podium finish (also the Ligier team's first since 1986), and several drivers including Rubens Barrichello, Luca Badoer and Michael Andretti made their first Grand Prix starts.
- To date, this was the last running of the South African Grand Prix.
- This was the first time since 1971 that the first race of a season did not feature the defending Drivers' Champion in the field (in 1971, Jochen Rindt was missing as he was killed in 1970). Defending 1992 champion Nigel Mansell had moved to race in Indycar for the season.
- Since there was no defending Drivers' Champion in the field this season, defending Constructors' Champion Williams could not use No. 1 on either of its cars. Therefore, this was the first race since 1973 that the No. 0 was used.
- Last start: Ivan Capelli
- First race: Rubens Barrichello & Michael Andretti
Championship standings after the race
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
1992 Australian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1993 Brazilian Grand Prix
1992 South African Grand Prix
|South African Grand Prix||Next race:|