1993 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1993 in the Republic of India.
- Chief Justice of India – Lalit Mohan Sharma until 11 February, Manepalli Narayana Rao Venkatachaliah
- 9 March – The All Parties Hurriyat Conference is formed in Kashmir.
- 12 March – A series of bomb blasts, thought to be planted by underworld figures, rock the country's commercial capital of Bombay, killing some 260 people. (See 1993 Mumbai bombings.)
- 9 April – Veerappan Gang Trapped and blew a Tamil Nadu bus carrying police, forest officials and civilians, using a landmine, which killed 22 civilians and police and this incident is known as Palar blast.
- 14 April – Sun TV, a Tamil language television station, as first regular broadcasting service to start in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- 24 May : Veerappan and His gang Killed 6 policemen K.M.Uthappa, Prabhakara, Poovaiah, Machaiah, Swamy and Narasappa of STF commander Gopal Hosur's party and injured the police commander near Rangaswamy vaddu, M.M.Hills, Karnataka.
- 30 September – The 6.2 Mw Latur earthquake shakes Maharashtra, India with a maximum Mercalli intensity of VIII (Severe) killing 9,748 and injuring 30,000.
- Mulayam Singh Yadav elected chief minister of Uttar Pradesh for the second time.
- 6 January - Pawan Negi, Cricketer
- 11 October - Hardik Pandya, Cricketer
- 6 December - Jasprit Bumrah, Cricketer
- 5 April – Divya Bharti, actress (born 1974).
- 3 August – Chinmayananda, spiritual leader (born 1916).
- 19 August – Utpal Dutt, actor, director and writer (born 1929).
- 29 November – J. R. D. Tata a French-born Indian aviator and businessman who became India's first licensed pilot (birth 1904).
Full date unknown