1993 in LGBT rights
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to LGBT history in the 1990s.|
This is a list of notable events in the history of LGBT rights that took place in the year 1993.
- Sodomy laws in the Republic of Ireland are repealed.
- Minnesota bans private-sector discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity, becoming the first U.S. state to enact a law addressing transgender civil rights.
- 15 — In U.S. state of Colorado, district court judge Jeffrey Bayless issues a temporary injunction in Romer v. Evans, preventing Amendment 2 from becoming part of the state constitution.
- 25 — Third gay rights march on Washington, D.C., the March on Washington for Lesbian, Gay and Bi Equal Rights and Liberation draws an estimated 1,000,000 participants.
- 5 — In Baehr v. Lewin, the Hawaii Supreme Court rules that denying marriage licenses to same-sex couples constitutes discrimination based on sex under the Hawaii Constitution. The court remands the case to the trial court to determine whether the state had a "compelling" state interest in barring such marriages.
- 19 — Colorado's Supreme Court upholds an injunction issued by a district court in January against Amendment 2 and sends it back to the district court to be scrutinized.
- 1 — A court orders the federal government of Canada to grant a gay federal worker spousal and bereavement benefits equal to those heterosexual employees receive.
- 7 — In the United States, the AFL-CIO labor union passes a resolution to oppose the repeal of gay rights laws.
- 2 — Voters in Cincinnati, Ohio and Lewiston, Maine repeal bans on discrimination based on homosexual orientation.
- 30 — Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pursue, Don't Harass policy goes into effect in the United States armed forces.
- 3 — The state senate of Massachusetts passes a bill that protects the civil rights of lesbian and gay students in public schools.
- 14 — In Colorado, district court judge Jeffrey Bayless rules Amendment 2 unconstitutional.
- Timeline of LGBT history — timeline of events from 12,000 BCE to present
- LGBT rights by country or territory — current legal status around the world
- LGBT social movements
- Current Issues
- Eskridge, p. 5
- Baehr v. Lewin, 852 P.2d 44 (Hawaii Supreme Court 1993-05-05).
- "Voters have their say on zoning, taxes, smut". The Milwaukee Sentinel. Sentinel wire services. 1996-11-05. p. 3A. Retrieved 2010-07-26.
- Gallagher, John (1994-02-08). "Battle without end?". The Advocate. p. 24. Retrieved 2010-07-28.