1994 Minnesota Vikings season
|1994 Minnesota Vikings season|
|Head coach||Dennis Green|
|Home field||Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome|
|Division place||1st NFC Central|
|Playoff finish||Lost NFC Wild Card Playoff (Bears) 18–35|
The 1994 Minnesota Vikings season was the 34th year of season play for the Minnesota Vikings and the 75th regular season of the National Football League. The Vikings finished with a record of ten wins and six losses. For the third straight season in the Dennis Green era, the Vikings did not make it out of the Wild Card round, losing 35-18 to the rival Chicago Bears.
|T Chris Hinton (Falcons)||WR Anthony Carter (Lions)|
|RB Amp Lee (49ers)||DE Chris Doleman (Falcons)|
|QB Warren Moon (Oilers)||LB Fred Strickland (Packers)|
|1994 Minnesota Vikings Draft|
|Draft order||Player name||Position||College||Notes|
|1||18||18||Dewayne Washington||Cornerback||North Carolina State||from Broncos[a]|
|19||19||Todd Steussie||Offensive Tackle||California|
|2||11||40||David Palmer||Wide Receiver||Alabama||from Browns via Eagles and Falcons[b]|
|16||45||Traded to the Atlanta Falcons[b]||Compensatory pick|
|23||52||Traded to the Los Angeles Raiders[c]|
|26||55||Fernando Smith||Defensive End||Jackson State||from Raiders[c]|
|3||23||88||Traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers[d]|
|4||16||119||Traded to the Houston Oilers[e]|
|22||125||Mike Wells||Defensive Tackle||Iowa||from Raiders[c]|
|5||3||134||Shelly Hammonds||Defensive Back||Penn State||from Redskins[e]|
|20||151||Traded to the Kansas City Chiefs[f]|
|6||18||179||Andrew Jordan||Tight End||Western Carolina||from Broncos[a]|
|19||180||Traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers[d]|
|7||17||211||Pete Bercich||Linebacker||Notre Dame|
- ^[a] Denver traded their 1st round selection (18th overall), 6th round selection (179th overall), and 1995 2nd round selection to Minnesota in exchange for OT Gary Zimmerman on August 23, 1993.
- ^[b] Atlanta traded a 2nd round selection (40th overall) and 1995 1st round selection to Minnesota in exchange for their 2nd round selection (45th overall) and DE Chris Doleman on April 24, 1994.
- ^[c] The Raiders traded their 2nd round selection (55th overall) and 4th round selection (125th overall) to Minnesota to move up 3 spot to the 52nd overall selection and draft LB James Folston.
- ^[d] Minnesota traded their 3rd round selection (88th overall) and 6th round selection (180th overall) to Pittsburgh for TE Adrian Cooper.
- ^[e] Minnesota traded their 4th round selection (119th overall) and 1995 3rd round selection (89th overall) to Houston for QB Warren Moon.
- ^[e] Washington traded a conditional 5th round selection (134th overall) to Minnesota in exchange for QB Rich Gannon on August 20, 1993.
- ^[f] Minnesota traded their 5th round selection (151st overall) to Kansas City for RB Barry Word.
Undrafted free agents
|Robert Griffith||Safety||San Diego State|
- November 6, 1994 – Warren Moon threw for 420 yards in a game against the New Orleans Saints.
- November 20, 1994 – Warren Moon threw for 400 yards in a game against the New York Jets.
|1||September 4, 1994||at Green Bay Packers||L 16–10||Lambeau Field|
|2||September 11, 1994||Detroit Lions||W 10–3||Metrodome|
|3||September 18, 1994||at Chicago Bears||W 42–14||Soldier Field|
|4||September 25, 1994||Miami Dolphins||W 38–35||Metrodome|
|5||October 2, 1994||at Arizona Cardinals||L 17–7||Sun Devil Stadium|
|6||October 10, 1994||at New York Giants||W 27–10||Giants Stadium|
|8||October 20, 1994||Green Bay Packers||W 13–10 (OT)||Metrodome|
|9||October 30, 1994||at Tampa Bay Buccaneers||W 36–13||Tampa Stadium|
|10||November 6, 1994||New Orleans Saints||W 21–20||Metrodome|
|11||November 13, 1994||at New England Patriots||L 26–20 (OT)||Foxboro Stadium|
|12||November 20, 1994||New York Jets||L 31–21||Metrodome|
|13||November 27, 1994||Tampa Bay Buccaneers||L 20–17 (OT)||Metrodome|
|14||December 1, 1994||Chicago Bears||W 33–27 (OT)||Metrodome|
|15||December 11, 1994||at Buffalo Bills||W 21–17||Rich Field|
|16||December 17, 1994||at Detroit Lions||L 41–19||Silverdome|
|17||December 26, 1994||San Francisco 49ers||W 21–14||Metrodome|
|(3) Minnesota Vikings||10||6||0||.625||356||314||W1|
|(4) Green Bay Packers||9||7||0||.563||382||287||W3|
|(5) Detroit Lions||9||7||0||.563||357||342||L1|
|(6) Chicago Bears||9||7||0||.563||271||307||L1|
|Tampa Bay Buccaneers||6||10||0||.375||251||351||L1|
NFC Wildcard Game
The Bears picked off Warren Moon twice while Steve Walsh threw two touchdowns, backs Raymont Harris and Lewis Tillman added rushing scores, and Kevin Miniefield ran back a Vikings fumble for a touchdown.
|Passing Yards||Warren Moon||4,264|
|Passing Touchdowns||Warren Moon||18|
|Rushing Yards||Terry Allen||1,031|
|Rushing Touchdowns||Terry Allen||8|
|Receptions||Cris Carter||122 *|
|Receiving Yards||Cris Carter||1,256|
|Receiving Touchdowns||Cris Carter||7|
|Kickoff Return Yards||Qadry Ismail||807|
|Punt Return Yards||David Palmer||193|
|Tackles||Jack Del Rio||128|
|Forced Fumbles||John Randle||3|
- Vikings single season record (tie).
|Category||Total yards||Yards per game||NFL rank|
(out of 28)
|Passing Offense||4,324 Yards||270.2 YPG||3rd|
|Rushing Offense||1,524 Yards||95.2 YPG||20th|
|Total Offense||5,848 Yards||365.5 YPG||3rd|
|Passing Defense||3,652 Yards||228.2 YPG||21st|
|Rushing Defense||1,090 Yards||68.1 YPG||1st|
|Total Defense||4,742 Yards||296.4 YPG||5th|
|colspan="7" style="background: #4F2683; color:white; border:2px solid
Special Teams Coaches
Strength and Conditioning
|1994 Minnesota Vikings final roster|
Awards and honors
- Cris Carter, Led NFL in receptions
- Cris Carter, All-Pro selection
- Cris Carter, Pro Bowl selection
- Warren Moon, Pro Bowl Selection 1994
- Warren Moon, NFL Leader, Passing Yards, (4,264)
- Cris Carter, 100 reception season (Carter finished the season with 122 receptions) 
- Warren Moon, 3rd 4,000 Yard Passing Season
- Warren Moon, 5th 400 Yard Passing Game (November 6)
- Warren Moon, 6th 400 Yard Passing Game (November 20)