1995 Boston Red Sox season
|1995 Boston Red Sox|
|1995 AL East Champions|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Dan Duquette|
|Local television||WSBK-TV, Ch. 38|
(Sean McDonough, Bob Montgomery)
(Bob Kurtz, Jerry Remy)
(Jerry Trupiano, Joe Castiglione)
(Bobby Serrano, Hector Martinez)
|< Previous season Next season >|
The 1995 Boston Red Sox season was the 95th season in the franchise's Major League Baseball history. The Red Sox finished first in the American League East with a record of 86 wins and 58 losses, as teams played 144 games (instead of the normal 162) due to the 1994–95 Major League Baseball strike. The Red Sox then lost to the American League Central champion Cleveland Indians in the ALDS.
- 1 Offseason
- 2 Regular season
- 3 Player stats
- 4 ALDS
- 5 Farm system
- 6 Awards and honors
- 7 References
- November 7, 1994: Bill Haselman was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- November 7, 1994: Juan Bell was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- December 9, 1994: Otis Nixon and Luis Ortiz were traded by the Red Sox to the Texas Rangers for José Canseco.
The Red Sox collected an MLB-high of 286 doubles in 1995, for an average of nearly 2 per game.
|Boston Red Sox||86||58||0.597||—||42–30||44–28|
|New York Yankees||79||65||0.549||7||46–26||33–39|
|Toronto Blue Jays||56||88||0.389||30||29–43||27–45|
Record vs. opponents
1995 American League Records
Sources:              
- April 9, 1995: Stan Belinda was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- April 9, 1995: Cory Bailey and Scott Cooper were traded by the Red Sox to the St. Louis Cardinals for Mark Whiten and Rheal Cormier.
- April 9, 1995: Reggie Jefferson was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- April 18, 1995: Zane Smith was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- April 26, 1995: Tim Wakefield was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- May 26, 1995: Tuffy Rhodes was selected off waivers by the Red Sox from the Chicago Cubs.
- June 1, 1995: Pat Burrell was drafted by the Red Sox in the 43rd round of the 1995 Major League Baseball draft, but did not sign.
- June 6, 1995: Willie McGee was signed as a free agent by the Red Sox.
- July 24, 1995: Mark Whiten was traded by the Red Sox to the Philadelphia Phillies for Dave Hollins.
- July 26, 1995: Wally Whitehurst was released by the Red Sox.
- July 31, 1995: The Red Sox traded players to be named later to the Atlanta Braves for Mike Stanton and a player to be named later. The trade was completed on August 31, when the Braves sent Matt Murray to the Red Sox, and the Red Sox sent Mike Jacobs (minors) and Marc Lewis (minors) to the Braves.
Opening Day Line Up
|1995 Boston Red Sox|
Starters by position
Note: Pos = Position; G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
Note: G = Games played; AB = At bats; H = Hits; Avg. = Batting average; HR = Home runs; RBI = Runs batted in
|1||Boston 4, Cleveland 5||October 3, 1995|
|2||Boston 0, Cleveland 4||October 4, 1995|
|3||Cleveland 8, Boston 2||October 6, 1995|
Awards and honors
- Erik Hanson – AL Pitcher of the Month (August)
- John Valentin – Silver Slugger Award (SS)
- Mo Vaughn – Silver Slugger Award (1B), American League MVP
- Tim Wakefield – AL Pitcher of the Month (July)
- Bill Haselman at Baseball Reference
- Juan Bell at Baseball Reference
- Otis Nixon at Baseball Reference
- Stan Belinda at Baseball Reference
- Mark Whiten at Baseball Reference
- Reggie Jefferson at Baseball Reference
- Zane Smith at Baseball Reference
- Tim Wakefield at Baseball Reference
- Tuffy Rhodes at Baseball Reference
- Pat Burrell at Baseball Reference
- Willie McGee at Baseball Reference
- Wally Whitehurst at Baseball Reference
- Mike Stanton at Baseball Reference
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles, ed., The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd edition. Durham, North Carolina: Baseball America, 2007