1995 PBA season
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|1995 PBA season|
1995 PBA season
|Duration||February 19, 1995 – December 19, 1995|
|Number of teams||8|
|TV partner(s)||Vintage Sports (PTV)|
|Top draft pick||Dennis Espino|
|Picked by||Sta. Lucia Realtors|
|All-Filipino Cup champions||Sunkist Orange Juicers|
|Commissioner's Cup champions||Sunkist Orange Juicers|
|Governors Cup champions||Alaska Milkmen|
|Runners-up||San Miguel Beermen|
|Season MVP||Vergel Meneses|
The 1995 PBA season was the 21st season of the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).
- Ramon Fernandez, one of the remaining pioneer players in the league announced his retirement on February 17. His #19 jersey was retired by the San Miguel Beermen in a ceremony held at the San Miguel Corporation offices in Mandaluyong City.
- The league returned to the Araneta Coliseum, after a decade of absence, with the scheduled games on Friday being held at the Big Dome.
- The PBA All-star game returned to its old format of Veterans vs Rookies/Sophomores/Juniors team, also the All-Star event was moved in the month of July, with the first-ever PBA fans day held at the Araneta Coliseum a week before the annual all-star game.
- A mid-90s rivalry was born between the Sunkist Orange Juicers and the Alaska Milkmen, the two teams battled in two memorable finals for the season. The Orange Juicers had won the first two conferences, but failed in its bid to win the Grandslam, with the Alaska Milkmen taking home the Third Conference trophy.
- Vergel Meneses of Sunkist was the season's best, winning the prestigious MVP Award as well as the All-Star MVP and Best Player of the Conference in the Juicers' two straight championships.
The PBA board approved the rule changes for implementation starting this season:
- The shot clock was reduced to 24 seconds from the previous 25 second limit. The 25 second shot clock was implemented since the league started in 1975 due to a limitation of the shot clock used at the Araneta Coliseum where it can only be set in 5 second intervals.
- The first two minutes of each quarter will be played in "running time". The clock will only be stopped on fouls and violations.
- Teams will now have six 90-second regular timeouts and one 20-second timeout for the eliminations and semifinals.
- Substitutions during free throw situations are only allowed before the last free throw attempt.
- Foul shooters are allowed to shoot their first free throw even if the other players are not yet in position in the lines bordering the painted area.
The muses for the participating teams are as follows:
|Alaska Milkmen||Tet Legacion|
|Ginebra San Miguel||Charlene Gonzales|
|Pepsi Mega||Anna Gonzales|
|Purefoods Tender Juicy Hotdogs||Roselle Nava|
|San Miguel Beermen||Shiela Lang and Gil Baltazar|
|Shell Rimula X||Cesca La'O|
|Sta. Lucia Realtors||Sheila Marie Dizon (Ms.Tourism)|
|Sunkist Orange Juicers||Sheryl Cruz|
- All-Filipino Cup: Sunkist Orange Juicers
- Commissioner's Cup: Sunkist Orange Juicers
- Governor's Cup: Alaska Milkmen
- Team with best win-loss percentage: Sunkist Orange Juicers (49-23, .681)
- Best Team of the Year: Sunkist Orange Juicers (1st & Final)
- Most Valuable Player: Vergel Meneses (Sunkist)
- Rookie of the Year: Jeffrey Cariaso (Alaska)
- Sportsmanship Award: Rey Evangelista (Purefoods)
- Most Improved Player: Bonel Balingit (Sunkist)
- Defensive Player of the Year: Art dela Cruz (San Miguel)
- Mythical Five:
- Mythical Second Team:
- All Defensive Team:
Awards given by the PBA Press Corps
- Coach of the Year: Derrick Pumaren (Sunkist)
- Mr. Quality Minutes: Porfirio "Jun" Marzan (Shell)
- Executive of the Year: Elmer Yanga (Swift)
- Comeback Player of the Year: Elpidio Villamin (Sunkist)
- Referee of the Year: Ernesto de Leon
Board of Governors
- Emilio Bernardino (Commissioner)
- Ruben Cleofe (Secretary)
- Jose Concepcion III (Chairman, Republic Flour Mills Corp.)
- Teodoro Dimayuga (Vice-Chairman, Purefoods Corp.)
- Nazario Avendaño (Treasurer, San Miguel Corp.)
- Wilfred Steven Uytengsu (General Milling Corp.)
- Eliseo Santiago (Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corp.)
- Vicente Santos (Sta. Lucia Realty and Development, Inc)
- Luis Lorenzo, Sr (Pepsi Cola Products Philippines, Inc)
- Bernabe Navarro (La Tondeña Distillers, Inc)
|Sunkist Orange Juicers||72||49||23||.680|
|San Miguel Beermen||50||27||23||.540|
|Sta. Lucia Realtors||50||27||23||.540|
|Purefoods Tender Juicy Hotdogs||61||30||31||.492|
|Shell Rimula X/Formula Shell||54||20||34||.371|
|Ginebra San Miguel||30||5||25||.166|
- Mon and San Miguel; Kahit Kailan Kaibigan, Part of the Game by: Tessa Jazmines, Sports Weekly Magazine, February 24, 1995
- After all-star madness, PBA back in serious mien, Manila Standard
- Meneses claims MVP plum, Manila Standard
- PBA's 21st season: Speed is a thing, Hoop Notes by Quinito Henson, Sports Weekly Magazine, February 24, 1995