1995 Pan American Games
|Host city||Mar del Plata|
|Events||309 in 34 sports|
|Opening ceremony||March 12|
|Closing ceremony||March 26|
|Officially opened by||President Carlos Menem|
|Athlete's Oath||Leonardo Malgor|
|Pan American torch||Nora Vega|
|Main venue||Estadio José María Minella|
The 12th Pan American Games were held in Mar del Plata, Argentina, from March 12 to March 26, 1995. After 44 years, this was the Pan American Games first return to the country that hosted the first Games, in 1951.
The seaside resort city of Mar del Plata hosted the XII Pan American Games. The city of 600,000 is located 400 km south of Buenos Aires. Welcoming 5,144 athletes from 42 countries of PASO community, events were held in 34 different sports. The Games were held early by Northern Hemisphere standards, but in early autumn in the Southern Hemisphere.
Mar del Plata
- Estadio José María Minella: Opening and Closing ceremonies, Football
- "Justo Roman" Athletic stadium: Athletics
- Polideportivo Islas Malvinas: Basketball, Volleyball
- Municipal Velodrome: Cycling
- Pan American Field Hockey Stadium: Field Hockey
- "Alberto Zorrilla" Natatorium: Swimming
- Patinódromo Municipal: Roller sports (skating)
- Laguna de los Padres: Rowing, Canoeing
Mascot and logo
The mascot, Lobi, is a sea lion, an animal commonly found in the waters of Mar de Plata. He stands for the host city and is displayed with welcoming open arms. The words in the poster are constructed to imply a launching point or podium.
To sort this table by nation, total medal count, or any other column, click on the icon next to the column title.
|1||United States (USA) a||170||145/ 144||110||425/ 424|
|4||Argentina (ARG) 1||40||45||74||159|