1995 Tournament of the Americas
|FIBA Americas Cup 1995|
|7th FIBA American Basketball Championship|
|Teams||8 (from 41 federations)|
|Venues||2 (in 2 host cities)|
|Champions||Puerto Rico (4th title)|
The 1995 Tournament of the Americas, known now as the FIBA Americas Championship, was a basketball championship hosted by Argentina from August 15 to August 27, 1995. The games were played in Tucuman and Neuquen. This FIBA Americas Championship was to earn the three berths allocated to the Americas for the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. The United States did not participate in the tournament, as the team claimed the host berth in the Olympics. Puerto Rico defeated Argentina in the final to win the tournament. Brazil beat Canada in the third place game to claim the final Olympic berth.
Eight teams qualified during the qualification tournaments held in their respective zones in 1995; Canada qualified automatically since they are one of the two members of the North America zone.
- North America: Canada
- Caribbean and Central America: Bahamas, Barbados, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico
- South America: Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Venezuela
The draw split the tournament into two groups:
- The top four teams from each group advance to the quarterfinals.
- Results and standings among teams within the same group are carried over.
- The top four teams at the quarterfinals advanced to the semifinals.
- The winners in the knockout semifinals advanced to the Final and were granted berths in the 1996 Summer Olympics tournament in Atlanta. The losers figure in a third-place playoff where the winner was given the third and final place in the Olympics.
|Qualified for the quarterfinals|
|Qualified for the semifinals|
The top four teams in both Group A and Group B advanced to the quarterfinal group. Then each team played the four from the other group once to complete a full round robin with the top four advancing to the semifinals. Records from the preliminary groups carried over.
|26 August||27 August|
Third place game
|1997 Tournament of the Americas Winners|
|Qualified for the 1996 Olympic Tournament|
1995 FIBA Americas Championship for Men, FIBA.com.