1996 European Grand Prix
|Race 4 of 16 in the 1996 Formula One season|
The Nürburgring in its 1996 configuration
|Date||28 April 1996|
|Official name||XL Grand Prix of Europe|
|Location||Nürburgring, Nürburg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany|
|Course||Permanent race track|
|Course length||4.556 km (2.842 mi)|
|Distance||67 laps, 305.252 km (190.425 mi)|
|Weather||Cloudy, but dry|
|Time||1:21.363 on lap 55|
Both Benetton cars made extremely slow starts, due to the brakes locking on. Berger was forced to pit for fresh tyres after a flat-spot was caused, while Alesi finished lap 1 in 13th place and spun while trying to recover.
The Tyrrells were disqualified for separate infringements - Salo finished 10th but his car was found post-race to be underweight, while Katayama finished 12th but was disqualified for receiving an illegal push-start on the parade lap.
- Lap leaders: Jacques Villeneuve 67 (1-67)
- Mika Häkkinen gained two pit lane speeding penalties due to a problem with his pit speed limiter.
- First point of the season for Martin Brundle.
Championship standings after the race
- Bold text indicates who still has a theoretical chance of becoming World Champion.
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
1996 Argentine Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
1996 San Marino Grand Prix
1995 European Grand Prix
|European Grand Prix||Next race:
1997 European Grand Prix